I Got My PBBB Yeah You Know Me

Well, let me just start that I am more than blown away from my Pumpkin Brownie post. We're talking like Twister style blown away. As of the time of this post, I have 46 comments! 46! That's a brand new high for Baking with Dynamite, and it's sooo close to 50. 50 is going to be my new goal, and I figure with a little more hard work, and maybe a joke or five, I can totally reach that. Thanks to everyone who supported my crazy concoction... and also to those who are still friends with a 'non-chocolate'-aholic :)

Well, since the last post took quite the amount of creative juices from my brain (not to scale), I'm now heading back to something simple, tried, and true. When it comes to family desserts, I have about 4 or 5 completely committed to memory. I've blogged about a couple of them before, such as here, here, or here... and then I have this one. Do you have any baked recipes that you can whip up without any consultation? I bet you guys have quite a few.

Since I have started blogging, the word Banana Bread has now become synonymous with my super fun dancing colleague, VeggieGirl. She always makes creative, delicious, "not yo mama's" banana bread. She recently had this post for Peanut Butter Banana Bread, and it got me thinking... Well, I do love PB and Banana sandwiches, so let's give this a go :)
I decided to take a recipe that my mother and I have been using for years, and I love it because I can just eyeball things. It's not a finicky recipe, so if you're not exact, it's not too big of a deal.

With me moving back home in two weeks, I thought this would be a great idea to use up whatever baking supplies I have left. When you have limited travel space, sometimes that extra flour and sugar just has to get used, right? Oh, the things I must do sometimes :)


Peanut Butter Banana Bread
Recipe by Mom

-1 1/2 cups AP flour
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-2 ripe beyond repair bananas, mashed
-1 1/2 tsp vanilla
-1 egg
-1 tbsp canola oil
-1/2 cup juice (apple, orange, whatever you think would work)
-1/2 cup (or more) peanut butter (optional)


Preheat your oven to 350*. Set up the center rack, and grease a standard loaf pan.


In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together.


In a medium bowl, mix the bananas, vanilla, egg, oil, juice, and peanut butter together, until it is an evenly mixed, sweet smelling mushy mass.


Add the wet banana ingredients to the dry team, and stir until combined together. Pour into the greased loaf pan, and bake for ~40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Peanut butter is optional in this recipe, and so is the shredded coconut I put on top.

And that's it guys, the easiest banana bread recipe you might ever find. It might not actually be the best you've ever had, but you have all the ingredients, and you can do whatever you want to it. Raisins, nuts, chips, whatever. When it comes to using juice, I like it because it gives a subtle flavor besides banana to the bread, and also sweetens it a bit without it being overly sicky sweet. Just use whatever you have on hand, or go with milk if you don't have any.

Few last notes my friends (not in a creepy McCain voice), remember to check out VeggieGirls site if you haven't already... but chances are, if you are a reader here, you know who she is :) Also, thanks for commenting on BwD, and for being cool cats, especially with the comments. The FFF post comments had me dying... seriously I hurt my stomach hurt :) 50 comments, here we come... soon.

This is what happens when you eat too much banana bread

Comments

Sue said…
I really hope you reach that magic number. I'm happy to help.

Great recipe. The shredded coconut on top is a brilliant move. It looks so rustic and delicious. But Adam, why, oh, why, the canola oil? None of its bad press fazes you?
Sarah said…
"Ripe beyond repair bananas"...love it! This looks like great bread. Total fall comfort food!
Meg said…
Yeah for so many comments! I love love love this bread. I might have to drizzle some chocolate on top of this or slather it with more PB!
Great banana bread! I like how you use very little oil.
anudivya said…
Aiming for the magic number 50? Go Adam, Go! If you don't get there by any other means, I can spam your comment section. LOL. But I am sure you are gonna get there with this good looking bread without my help ;) looks amazing...
Clumbsy Cookie said…
If you want I can go to your Pumpkin Brownie post and make 4 more comments so you can get 50! Do you want it? I can just comment silly things, oh wait I do that allready...
I knew you were smart, but no SO smart! Nice size brain! Not bad for a guy!
Banana bread is my favourite use for bananas with no possible salvation! And with pb and that coconut on top I would probably look like your dog after eating a lot of it!
No more baking then? :(
Ivy said…
I like the idea of using peanut butter instead of butter. Hope you reach your target soon.
I love this recipe. I'm such a PB&B freak. I don't think I could leave it out. I love the coconut on top too.

50 comments? I got that many comments once. Then I realized I was naked and I finally woke up.
LizNoVeggieGirl said…
Your blog post title is amazing (love the pop culture reference!!); your shout-out is incredibly kind (you're awesome, Adam!!!); and the banana bread recipe is SENSATIONAL!! Whoo hoo!! :0)
Lacey said…
i just started reading your blog, but i'd be happy to do some comment spamming to get to your goal ;) haha
this bread looks amazing, btw. I don't have a favorite banananaana (i can never spell that word right. one second your typing A's and N's happily then the next BAM! one too many na's and you've fallen for the common bananana misspelling trap. sigh.) bread recipe. i'd try this one.
Hey good looking, what you got cooking? Great idea for the banana bread. Nothing boring there. You are so cool. I hope you reach 200 posts before the end of the year.
test it comm said…
This banana bread looks good! I like the use of the fruit juice in it.
Bhawana said…
I liked this post dear. bookmarked. still more to explore in your blog. beautiful.
miss v said…
you and veggiegirl are rocking my peanut and banana world.
Unknown said…
my oh pie... more delectable peanut butter banana combinations... *drool* here's one more towards 50!!!
Shreya said…
Amazing recipe! I saw the title, was wondering what's on top, saw the label coconut, realized you the coconut isn't in the ingredients and its optional! I wish I could make this, it looks terrific with the coconut on top. Leaving it out wouldn't be an option in my case. Btw, 50 comments is easy to achieve, especially for a cool blog(er) like (rs)you-.
Pam said…
This looks amazing. My peanut butter loving son would be one happy little man if I made him these beauties. Great post Adam and congrats on nearing 50 comments. So cool.
Emily said…
You'll hit that # in no-time!

I liked the McCain creepy voice joke...hahahahah.

The pb banana bread sounds awesome.
Dee said…
You'll make 50 in no time :) I'm not a huge banana fan, but banana bread/cake is another story. Love the coconut touch - gonna nick that. Also gonna leave a comment on the pumpkin post so you'll have 48. See how much I love you?
Lore said…
Oh Adam the sacrifices you must make sometimes LOL. Sign me up for them next time will you? :) I have yet to try banana bread (it's a classic for you guys I know but not for me) and your recipe is going to be my first try because it sounds easy to make and sooo delicious.
Congrats on your pumpkin brownie success, it really was incredibly creative!
Maria said…
I am sure you will reach that goal with a recipe like this! Your bread looks most excellent!
RecipeGirl said…
oH Adam... you'll reach your fifty. Once of these days you'll do some sort of controversial blog post that everyone will feel compelled to comment on!

I did a pb banana bread a while back... but I also added chocolate chips into the mix!
Okay, looks like I have to get on the pb & bb band-wagon.
Veggie girl has made this a couple times and each time I say I'm gonna do it. But now I'm over-curious and have to rock this pb & bb out kicked-up style.
Adam, I love your dog. I have these neighbors down the street that own 2 great danes and they are the sweetest dogs with crazy ass fur colorings.
We need to get your dog a bigger bed!!!
Sangeeth said…
hope you hit your target soon! the bread looks awesome.
CECIL said…
Heehee..ripe beyond repair!! The ones when you start seeing those tiny flies on top of it?!! ;)

I love coconut on top of it - I almost thought it was almonds slivers for the moment. I think I may bake more in upcoming months - holiday season and what not.
hungryandfrozen said…
That dog is gorgeous :) I definitely have stuff that I can make without a recipe...but I usually forget something lol. Good luck on making it to fifty comments. And I thought my cool 32 was exciting!
PG said…
You're funny - we do the same thing...Get excited about posts with a lot of comments and set comment goals. You really want to hit high comments? Join daring bakers. Those posts always get tonnes of commenting.

Banana bread looks good. I didn't see the coconut portion in the recipe, so I was thinking - why the heck does the top look flaky?!? But, now that I know...I kind of like the sounds of the coconut.
susan said…
congratulations on almost getting 50 comments! :)
and oh my, that peanut butter banana bread looks amazing.
ps. i do have an ice cream maker but i was regretting buying it because people have come up with new methods to make ice cream without an ice cream maker. but now that you say so, i feel kinda better :)
Astra Libris said…
Go Adam! Your 50 goal is completely in reach, and so well-deserved! Thank you for enriching all of us with your posts!

Your banana bread sounds positively incredible... Banana bread is one of my favorite baked goods ever, so I can't wait to try your recipe! I love the addition of peanut butter and the beautiful coconut topping... (and you brought a huge smile to my evening with your description of "beyond repair" bananas... :-)
Daziano said…
Well, your recipes look so good no wonder why you're getting so many comments!!!
First, congratulations for the success. Second, what a nice guy to share your mom's recipe. This banana bread looks so good with the thin layer of butter on it.
Unknown said…
i'm sure my hubby and kids will love your pbbb... definitely looks so yum... way to go, adam... 50 more comments coming up... :)
Yasmeen said…
Banana bread is exactly my kinda bread with ripe beyond repair bananas .The coconut looks amazing on top. You sure are proving yourself to be a dynamite baker :)
Gloria Baker said…
Dear Adam you have a really nice and interesting blog!!(many people visit the blogs but dont comments I know with the gadget I have, is easy to add if you want)
These banana bread look amazing, so tasty!! xxGloria
(Many times I dont made a banana bread, good idea!!!)
Fitness Foodie said…
I finally found your comment button, was never able to figure it out. Dah! This is a great loaf, I have so many bananas in my freezer and get tired of the same old bread. This one will be nice and different to make.
Sue said…
Parker is right. The comment button isn't easy to find. And Short (dis)Order Cook is ssssoooooooooooo funny.

I still love that bread, 38 comments later.
Laura Paterson said…
Woo hoo on nearing 50! I hit 40, once, a couple of weeks ago, it was super-exciting!

Beautiful bread!
hi adam!

commenting on your comment first, reading this post second.

i AM looking to burn more calories, as i have been estimating that i burn about 90-100/mile which makes a big difference over time... intervals ay? i'll give it a shot. hope that my ankle can hold up to that!

steel cut oats are chewier, compared to the fluffiness of rolled oats. hope that explains in a bit, you have to try them to understand!
Lacey said…
well your pretty close to 50 now :P
and thank YOU for sharing the recipe. my brothers reaction when i told him what the bread was called-"Sweet cow and mother of all that is holy! I want that!" hahahahah.
thanks again :)
WOW! coconut on top of pb banana bread? it all sounds too good to be true!!! yum!
Well, I know why you're getting 50 comments...that's because your blog is hot! I'm loving the bread! And the pic is GREAT!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com
Kelly said…
Looks tasty. Yum.
Sorry, bud. I'm allergic to the nuts (cough), so I won't be trying this one. BUT! Your bread looks good. It looks like the quick bread I have to make at the shop. And that stuff is POP-u-LAR.

So...this makes me # 44.
Maggie said…
Congrats on the 46 comments, I'm in awe.

I really like the coconut on top almost as much as I like Veggie Girl's banana slices. Who knew banana bread could look so pretty?!
Natalie Que said…
POPULAR post! And I see why! I love all of the components separately, why wouldn't I want do DIE they'd be so good together??
Anonymous said…
I'm number 48! just two more....
Anonymous said…
I can't tell you how great that bread looks! I would love a piece!
Carla said…
Lucky you! I don't even know if I made it to 20 comments on one post yet. And I know what you mean about using up your food before moving back home! I bet lots of friends are getting baked goods right about now haha

Your banana bread is different than mine, so I'll have to try your version next time I'm home. I already got several requests from the parents for it.
Anonymous said…
Here you have it ... 52!!
haha!!
Congratulations!
Ann said…
53!

We love PB in our house.
And doggies too - LOVE the pic of you dog. :)
Anonymous said…
The recipe you and your mom came up with looks so tempting and delicious. I especially love the texture that the coconut adds--yum!