Rollin' With a Cause

I was home this past weekend, visiting the family and taking care of the usual business. It was great to just get away, relax, and not to have to cook for once. The most difficult question of the day is always "What do you want to have for dinner?". Sometimes we start talking about it at 9am, right after breakfast and during coffee. It's like this huge-normus event, like the Superbowl of food that day. Funny thing is though... I usually say the typical "I don't care". I know a lot of people say that... but usually I mean it. I don't like super heavy, sit in your gut, grizzly bear hibernation comafest dinners. My mother is the same way, so when it's just the two of us, dinner is light and quick.

Simple dinner is what we both wanted, so we went with a quick favorite in my house. I thought this would be a great entry for the Tried Tested and True...Take Two Event over at Equal Opportunity Kitchen. The theme for this event is "sure-fire hits" in your home, but changed to make them more healthy. Every family needs delicious nutrition right? This is a quick recipe that I have had several hundred times growing up, and I've changed it to be more healthy. These are light, tender, crepes... which we call Nalesniki.

First thing you do is grab a scorching hot skillet, place a small ladle full of thin pancake type batter in the pan, and swirl is around so it coats the bottom. Cook for a quick minute, flip to the other side for a few seconds, and presto... you're D-U-N done. They are not sweetened in any way, so usually a thin layer of jam is spread onto the crepe, and then they are rolled up, and sprinkled with some powdered sugar. If you're in an adventurous mood, try filling them with whatever you like. Sweet or savory. Applesauce, scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, chocolate, whatever. I like to get my protein in, so I usually go with cottage cheese and a touch of cinnamon.

To make these healthier for this event. I've taken the canola oil down to a teaspoon or two, used a combonation of whole wheat and AP flour, and... well that's about it. There's not much to these crepes, so they can't really be changed. Oh, how about non-fat milk. There ya go.



Simple Crepes
Recipe by the Bizan Family
-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
-1/4 cup AP flour
-1 1/2 cups non fat or skim milk
-2 eggs
-1 tsp canola oil
-pinch of salt
In a large bowl, beat all ingredients in well with a wire whisk. There should be no lumps, and the batter should be slightly thinner than pancake batter. Add more milk if the batter is too thick.

Prepare a large, non stick, skillet lightly with oil or sprayed with cooking spray. Turn your stove top on to medium high, and get the skillet scortching hot. Using small ladle fulls, approximately <1/4>

Cook on one side for about one minute, or until the edges of the crepe slightly curl up. This is your key to knowing that one side is finished. Using a small spatula, grab the end of the crepe, and flip over, using your hands to help guide if you need to. Cook the crepe on the new side for another 30 seconds, or just until the batter sets.


Empty the crepe onto a warm plate, lightly oil the skillet again, and repeat as neccessary. I have no idea how many crepes this makes, probably about 20 or so, depending on the size of your pan.
Fill the crepes lightly with whatever filling you like, (slightly less than a tablespoon) and then either roll them up, or fold them in half twice, so they make a triangle. Sprinkle with some powdered sugar, and you're done.

I love breakfast for dinner, and these crepes make a basically no fat, very light, and still filling, little fuss dinner. They have fiber, a good carb source, healthy fats from the eggs, and a little protein. They can be adaptable to whatever mood you're in at the present moment. Any other "breakfast anytime lovers" out there? Make sure you check out the other entries over at Equal Oppertunity Kitchen. They have a great site over there, and raising awareness in a noble cause like organ donation is a wonderful thing to do.

Oh and I want to thank Mom for helping me with the photos. She has quite the decorative side, and anything I've learned is all from her :) Oh, and I know I was tagged last week. If anyone wants to learn some cool things about Adam, get your eyes and laughs ready for Wednesday :)

Comments

LizNoVeggieGirl said…
Sounds like you had a nice weekend at home!

Oooh, such stunning crepes!!
Chibog in Chief said…
ohh my this is what i exactly need right now..can you give me a serving please :-) your photos Adam are fantastic!!

have a great day!
PG said…
Looks like a nice light dinner. I'm very loyal to crepes stuffed with a dry cheese (i.e., blintzes) with strawberries on top. Oh no - now I'm craving blintzes.

Thanks for the great submission to Tried, Tested and True Two!
Clumbsy Cookie said…
I allways try to do recipes a bit healthier. It's a great idea to do crepes this way, because they're better for you and taste as good! They look great too by the way!
test it comm said…
Those crepes look good! I like the use of the whole wheat flour in them.
Dee said…
Love the crepes :) I just made a whole batch of buckwheat crepes and they're my new crush.
Emily said…
Cool things about Adam! Yay!
I need to write you back on Facebook. Don't let me forget.

I can't believe you're giving away the secret Bizan family recipe! Gasp! So I might try these sometime during the week. They look delicious.
Anonymous said…
Ahh gotta love bfast for dinner...I think I will make some yummy crepes for dinner tomorrow after class! thanks for the idea!

and I know what you mean about going home and not cooking...whenever my dad is away on business and I am home, my mom and I always like to eat light
Fitness Foodie said…
I love crepes! Have had breakfast ones but never dinner ones...I have always wanted to try stuffing them with something savory.

I am addicted to cottage cheese, great low fat protein. Be interesting to add the cinnamon to it.
These look delicious. Crepes and pancakes tend to be one of those foods that elude me though. Ever have one of those foods you just can't make well? These photos inspired me to keep trying though.
What a great recipe, and it looks very easy to make. I think the next time you make them maybe stuff them with something be it sweet or a salty seafood something.
Anyway, great job, I always love reading your food-stories.
Steph said…
Those look so light! I like how you used whole wheat flour too. I think its the same with our family when it comes to dinner. Right after breakfast we get the 'what do you want tonight' Just like you.. if it's just me and my mom, we usually just throw something together quickly. With my brother and dad on the other hand, we need to make it full and heavy.
Thistlemoon said…
Those look really great Adam! Crepes are the only pancake type things I really like. When I lived in Norway, they were like this - you spread them with butter and sprinkle a little sugar and then roll em up! Served with a little smoky and salty bacon and it is heaven!
Christine said…
Oh, I love crepes! They are usually reserved for birthday breakfasts (therefore, sweet), but I think this would be a great recipe to make for regular days, and much lighter than a tortilla filled with eggs. Have you tried buckwheat crepes before?
hungryandfrozen said…
Mm I love breakfast for dinner, better than at breakfast actually (does that make sense?) Those crepes look awesome, nothing like a bit of dangerous food-flipping to make one feel accomplished in the kitchen! :)
Anonymous said…
Your crepes looks so delicious. It is amazing that you picked up cooking from your mom.

Shalini
Sylvia said…
Sounds perfect !!!I love eat breakfast meals at dinner too. Those crepes looks delicious.And beautiful photos
Those crepes look delicious--but I'm sure you already knew that! :)
~Erin @ "Vegan & the City"
Lore said…
Crepes fan reporting for duty Sir :D
Gloria Baker said…
Adam your crepes look fantastic! I love them, so nice pictures! xGloria
Neen said…
You know, I grew up in francophone countries, my Dad even bought me a freakin' crepe pan, and I still can't make crepes. But damn, you clearly can! The photos are fabulous!