Rush Hour Oatmeal Cookies

Who here has a tendency to wait until the last minute? On Schoolwork? Work deadlines? Finding a babysitter? Gas gauge close to E?

I think we've all been a little guilty of this. Part of it has become human nature. Things that we just don't want to do always get put on the backburner. And as long as I as I don't have to call the fire department, it usually ends up ok. Sometimes work under pressure can make some pretty remarkable things. It's the spur of the moment, the real element of surprise.

Such was the case with these cookies. I went to a party this past weekend, and like any party-goer, you just can't show up empty handed, right? Whether it's plastic forks or a bottle of Dom, you HAVE to bring something.

However, due to work commitments, and personal commitments (*cough-gym-cough*), I was a little short on time when I got home. I have about 45 minutes to make something and head on over to the festivities. So... with nothing but my head and a semi-empty cabinet of supplies, I had some work to do. These were straight up MacGyver cookies, which I sort of measured, and sort of didn't. I used pure staples that I always have on hand.

Amateur Bodybuilder Cabinet Staples:
  • Oats
  • Natural PB
  • Raisins
Amateur Baker Cabinet Staples:
  • The usual flour, two sugars, butter, chocolate chips, powders and spices
I was pretty low on these ingredients. So... what kind of bomb can I defuse with this?

Well, I have to go back to old faithful... my favorite cookie. The almighty oatmeal. I swear if my body is already 60% water, and 20% is jokes and knowledge, then the other 20% is oatmeal. I go through those big tins in like 2 weeks. So, in a semi similar way, I went with a cookie base from this old school post.

Might not be the most exciting cookie ever, but hey, rush times call for rush measures.


Rush Hour Oatmeal Cookies
Dr. Adam


-1/4 cup salted butter, melted

-1 cup packed brown sugar

-1 egg
-1 1/2 tsp vanilla
-3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

-1 cup rolled oats

-1/4 tsp baking soda

-Heaping Tablespoons of peanut butter - 1/2 cup, maybe
-Handfuls of raisins (1/2-3/4 cup)

-Handfuls of chocolate chips (1/2 cup)


Preheat your oven to 350*. Set up a middle rack, grease a cookie sheet.


In a large bowl, with a wooden spoon, mix up the melted butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until it is brown and smooth.


You can either add the dry ingredients together, or just do what I did, and add the flour, oats, and baking soda to the wet bowl, right on top of each other. Mix together thoroughly, until the mixture becomes stiff and well coated. Fold in the peanut butter, until evenly combined, and then the raisins and chocolate chips.


Drop heaping tablespoons onto the cookie sheet, and bake for 10-12 minutes. The tops should be crackly brown, and spring back a bit when lightly touched. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, and then to a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes about 2 dozen.


I apologize for the lack of measurements on the "add-ins" for these cookies, but when you are against the clock, you kind of just wing it. I could also be alone on this, but I've always thought that chocolate chips and stuff are meant to be added to taste. How much do you want? It depends on what you're looking for.

Overall, these were a big hit, and I'm proud of myself for coming up with it on a whim. I was thinking of adding some coconut (healthy fat for weight gaining mode), but I decided against it, because some people just don't dig that flavor. Maybe next time my friends :)

Thanks for all your sweet comments, and while I know I've been rehashing some old posts lately, I've got a creative thinking cap on for later this week. It could completely backfire, but that's all part of the game :) I'm heading up to a wedding this weekend, but I hope to have some time to check some blogs and see how everyone is doing. It feels pretty good to be back in the groove and posting again. Feels like we all didn't miss a step. Have a great rest of the week :)

Comments

LizNoVeggieGirl said…
I work best under pressure, so I'm always game for "rush hour"-type projects :-)
anudivya said…
I am so going to try it this week. Looks amazing...
Great recipe under pressure. I will bookmark for the times when the kids tell me they need cookies for school an hour before they need them:)
Thistlemoon said…
Those cookies look great! I always work best when there are only a few ingredients to work with. Nice job!
Snooky doodle said…
these are better than a bottle of wine! delicious! I love oatmeal and peanut butter. Have to try these :)
Sue said…
Finding a babysitter? What ELSE haven't you told us?!!

I love that you used what there was. Those cookies look seriously good, but why was there SALTED butter in your house?
LOLOLOL! Bodybuilder staples, I love it and own it. Plus I have coconut water and tons of whey protein for those mornings when I hate breakfast but must eat or else I will pass out on the bench press. Not good. But these cookies are good, and good for you. How many times should I say good again?
I totally thought of you yesterday when I was fighting with myself to do squats (I hate F*** squats)
Steph said…
Wow, 2 big tins!! That's a lot of oatmeal.

Your cookies look really good. I like that shine it has to them. I think they're super exciting!
Kerstin said…
LOL, your MacGyver cookies sound delicious :) I like to think I'm more creative under a deadline because I go with my gut and don't over think things.
Selba said…
*claps* Well done! The cookies look amazing yummy!

I love the rush hour movie! :)
Unknown said…
there is something about pressure that makes things go quicker :) i alway used to be so ahead of time and prepared.... i don't know what happenned! Love me some oatmeal cookies, you can bring them to my party ;)
Querido Adam...I LOVE Jackie Chan!!! The Rush Hour movies are so cool. AND these ookies are perfect. The best things - foods - are made while under pressure and all with natural ingredients. You rock cutie.
Pam said…
I am not a fan of procrastination - it stresses me out. I must say these cookies look amazing. Oatmeal cookies are always a hit with everyone.
Great improvisation. It's amazing how sometimes you can get what you think are disasters to work.
miss v said…
ooo, mcguyver cookies. i once fashioned a set of silverware from a plastic two liter bottle... that was probably my best mcguyver moment. (i was camping, and hey, i had to eat).

oatmeal cookies. my favourite cookie by a long shot.
Marta said…
There's some sort of pleasure in procrastination, something rewarding about ccomplishing something in the last freaked-out minute!
These look great!!!!
Loved the movie, love the cookies. Speaking of movies, are you going to watch Julie and Julia?
Anna said…
I love the idea of a MacGyver-esque approach to cookie baking, haha. Funny how your 'bodybuilding staples' are basically my three favourite foods - uh, how d'you think I'd fare as a bodybuilder? I'm sure 5'2" female bodybuilders are all the rage; this may be the future career I've been searching for...

Can't wait to hear more about your creative thinking later in the week!
hungryandfrozen said…
Hey, I think my body might be 20% oatmeal too!

These cookies look awesome, last minute or not. Love the idea of adding peanut butter.
giz said…
Cookies are supposed to be a quick put together and frankly, these look great to me. They're not flat, they promise something good on the inside and I don't have to wait forever to eat them. What's not to love?
Megan said…
The cookies look great! And they are healthy, right?
Emily said…
Man, they sure look good! I think you did a fine job.
Chibog in Chief said…
I hate being under pressure, but I think they are really important in making our "ass" move LOL!! these oatmeal cookies look delicious!
Maria said…
Nice job on the cookies! Oatmeal are my favorite!
RecipeGirl said…
I don't measure my addins, and I struggle enough w/ trying to remember how I altered a recipe!! Love these... but I'd have to leave out the raisins :)
Astra Libris said…
Adam, I love how you called these "rush hour cookies" - I've definitely whipped up a rush hour dessert by necessity a time or two, and I often find that the rush inspires very inventive creativity - just as it did with your gorgeous, amazing cookies! Oh wow, I love oatmeal cookies! :-) The fact that you added both raisins AND chocolate chips makes them absolutely, completely, utterly perfect! :-)
PG said…
What? Procrastinate? Never. If I have a job to do, I go straight to it.

Interesting - it looks like a lie in writing just as it would sound if I had said it out loud.

I don't like people who never procrastinate. By extension, these cookies would be my friend.

Ok - not making complete sense. Bedtime.
Daziano said…
Hi!!! Oatmeal cookies, my very fav!
Elle said…
These look incredible! It's amazing what you can come up with when you're out of something and have to improvise.

I'd like to be Storm right now so I could get this heatwave outta here!