Gotta Have My Oats


I've been in a cookie mood all week. It's been an empty pit inside me, like a void that only a certain chewy, buttery goodness could fill. So what do you do when your stomach and soul has this kind of weird kind of 'help me, dude' feeling?

You fill it.

The king of all cookies in Adam's world are oatmeal cookies, and then closely followed by sugar. Yup, it's a pretty much a two horse race, with the winner having better chance if I haven't seen them in awhile. Or, in this case, when fellow bloggers make something that reminds me of my childhood. Ever find it funny how you can't shake some of your childhood habits no matter how much you try? There's nail biting, pouting with stomping feet, temper tantrums... and of course childhood foods.

I'm not talking about mashed peas in your hair... but oatmeal cookies.

If you haven't already (and I bet you have), check out Maria's blog over at Two Peas and Their Pod. She has a fantastic site that focuses on healthy, spontaneous recipes, and she knows no boundaries in the culinary world. From desserts to soups, she rocks it. That's all you need to know :) So when I stumbled on her Iced Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies, I heard a voice call me. Because it wasn't a telemarketer or school loans calling, I answered :) While I absolutely love her base recipe, I of course just added a couple of things, because... well... that's what I feeling. You can view her original here.

Iced Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe from Maria
-4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
-1 cup packed brown sugar
-1 egg
-1/2 cup applesauce (
homemade in my case)
-1 tsp vanilla

-1 1/2 cups oatmeal

-1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

-1/2 tsp baking soda

-1/4 tsp baking powder

-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp ginger
-Zest of one orange

-Dash of salt
-1 cup raisins


Preheat your oven to 350*, and set your oven's middle rack up.
In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter together until well combined, and then add the egg, applesauce, and vanilla. Mix well until evenly incorporated, brown and smooth, about two minutes. Add the flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, zest, and salt, and mix and fold until it comes together into an oaty, great smelling dough. Fold in the cup of raisins gently.

On an ungreased cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, scoop out the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the sheets, leaving spaces for cookie growth. I made about 2 dozen cookies. Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until they spring back to the touch, and let cool on in pans of a minute. Then cool completely on wire racks.


Whoa, Adam... you forgot the Iced part of the cookies? Well... yes... yes I did. I just don't think they need them. The cookies are super soft, and the flavor is wicked strong already. So I like them the way they are. So I'm sorry to offend any frosting-heads, but I'm walking away from it. You can go for it if you want, but I'm going down the icing-less road. And what a delicious road it is.

Now because it's been a week since I posted last, I thought I would share a little more info with you cool cats today. Susan at Yum Ninja tagged me... so I need to share 7 more facts about myself. I'm lucky I'm very, very, interesting. Here's some randomness...
  • I'm a quick learner, but sometimes try to start things before I should
  • I'd rather sit shotgun than drive most days
  • I enjoy going to the mall and people watching
  • I get excited when lobsters go on sale
  • I still watch the Thanksgiving parade... still
  • A good song on the radio can completely flip my mood
  • When I go out to eat, I have to get something I would never make at home
Well that's it. I have to get going on my last week of my internship, and as of Monday... I'm d-u-n done, baby. Have an awesome week :)

Comments

Ohhh I'm the first. Well good that's mean I get you all to myself :-) My bestest bud on here. How are ya buddy? Long time no chat huh? How's the workout going? I haven't been in a while, BUT I've been walking a lot lately, just felt I needed the change. Something about that fresh cold air gets the blood really going. But I walk down by the ocean so it's super freaking cold now, but gives you a good workout.
Well, your cookies look perfect to me, no icing needed is right. And these are good for you. You're always so good about eating good, I need to do more of that.
Maria said…
I am so glad you tried these cookies!! Aren't they great?? I love the changes you made too! I love the orange zest addition. I think I am going to make them again, but with orange and craisins, a little holiday flare:) And I am sure they are fine and dandy without the icing. Nice work!
Thanks for the kind words too. You are great!
And I still watch the Thanksgiving Parade too, it sucks me in every year. I guess it is a tradition!
Gloria Baker said…
Adam I love your cookies, look so yummy!!!Lovely work, xxxGloria
Mindy said…
I need that calendar! Is it a real one - I'll get one made myself if it's not :)

Love the cookies will definitely be making them. Thanks so much! Oh also I don't think I've commented before but it's great to see a food blog with a healthy edge to it too - I'm find it hard to balance the two - but you are proof that it can be done!
anudivya said…
I was a little scared about all that sugar, but it yields 2 dozen cookies, now that would take a while for me to finish. But the way they look, I might just gobble them in no time!
Meg said…
YUM, YUM, and YUM! I love oatmeal cookies. Love your 7 facts! I love watching the Thanksgiving parade.
RecipeGirl said…
You certainly made these cookies look delicious. Now I'M in the cookie mood. Thanks a lot.
Steph said…
Adam, I missed you! I guess you've been super busy. Next time I make oatmeal cookies, I'm definitely adding orange zest, it has such a wonderful flavour to it.

I'm totally with you on the frosting/icing, plus who needs it when cookies are good already! I would say oatmeal are my second favourite.. after CCCs (I never stop making them, I actually have 3 premade batches in the freezer for emergencies!).
Antonio Tahhan said…
oatmeal cookies are my absolute favorite - sugar cookies don't even come close in my book : )
Christine said…
Sounds like a really great recipe, and I like that it has applesauce and ginger as one of the spices. The texture looks really good!
Pam said…
I saw those cookies on Maria's site too. The icing sounds good but I think you are right - they don't need it. Great photos.
LizNoVeggieGirl said…
I can't go ONE SINGLE DAY without my morning bowl of oatmeal (and a protein shake) - looooove oats :-)

Great cookies!!
I first read that as "Gotta sow my oats." Now that would have made an interesting post. ;-)

And you're right, Maria's blog rocks!
Sarah said…
I love the Thanksgiving Day parade too! Those cookies look crazy good and I would have opted out of the icing as well. Best to leave well enough alone.
Ms Ashley said…
They look perfect and they are making me want to go home and bake cookies tonight!
I'd totally be down with this cookie - like, for real!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com
Carla said…
Honestly, I'm not an oatmeal cookie person, except for no-bake cookies. That's because it has chocolate and peanut butter though.

I also love shotgun because I hate hate hate driving. I will not drive a group unless I'm the last resort. And I also order foods I don't cook at home because why order something you can make anytime? That is why I never order pasta because let's face it, I eat way too much of it.

Enjoy your last week of school! I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to graduate yet.
Cookies for a cookie - that's you. I want one, so I hope you mail one out today. I just bought some oatmeal today to make some scones, but I think I'll make these first. Great job kiddo.
I can't stand seeing all these great cookies...I really don't need them right now(or my butt doesn't). Adam, your photos are looking hot!
Unknown said…
OOh, i saw these over there when she made them, and now i just may have to make them!

ever get to the parade in person??
Clumbsy Cookie said…
Where have you been boy?! I have missed you! You probably don't know about my love of aotmeal cookies, because I harly ever post anything oatmeal, but oh boy do I love them! In fact I bake a batch every single week. I also like mine with applesauce and I allways travel on the icingless road, I find it's less slipery. Have fun on yuor last week twisting people for free!
Thistlemoon said…
Oh man the cookies alone sound great, but with icing - now that sounds to me like a fabulous holiday cookie...and oats are healthy, right? ;)
Sylvia said…
Sound s great. Those cookies are my size, please sent me one, ..no, four !!!!;D
Unknown said…
those are great looking cookies... i usually bake oats and choco chips together, but i have to try both yours and maria's version... :)
Sue said…
Congratulations on finishing your internship. I'm sure you did great.

Forget the cookies...well, don't forget them, but, your PICTURES are beautiful. You should frame them.
Fitness Foodie said…
Cookies sound great, sure beat the morning oatmeal that i have been getting tired of.
Ann said…
No icing? Oh, I feel faint. :)

I'm so with you on a song being able to just FLIP my mood. The one that does it for me so well: "I can see clearly now the rain is gone...." -- love that one. But there are many others too.
jesse said…
Oooooo my god, I LOVE YOU. I love oatmeal SO much that some days I just go around with my tin of rough cut oats and nibble on them as I type away on the computer. I haven't been able to find an oatmeal cookie that uses QUITE enough oats... hehe, definitely will try this recipe ASAP!
Ivy said…
Oat Cookies are so addictive. I've made them over and over again. They look lovely. Next time I'll try your's and Maria's recipe.
Maris said…
These look so good! I have this recipe flagged in the November Everyday Food and I've been planning to make them!
I'm totally NOT a frosting-head, and I have a freakish obsession with oatmeal. I need to make these cookies.
Joanna said…
holy crap. those cookies are so thick. i usually only see thin, chewy oatmeal cookies. these are like the daddy of oatmeal cookies.
Hey there cutie pie. What's cookin'? Hope you really make the tamales. Well, Bob's informed me that he wants me to make your applesauce oatmeal cookies this weekend. They do sound scrumptious. So should I call you Dr. Adam now or is it Patch? :P Hugs.
Astra Libris said…
Ohhhh, you're almost done!! Congratulations!! What a perfect way to celebrate with these gorgeous cookies!! YUM YUM incredible!! I have to fix these sooooon! Yes, you now have me craving oatmeal cookies too... :-)
Emily said…
I agree that oatmeal cookies don't need frosting.
These look fantastic! I love the pictures.

I still watch the Thanksgiving parade too...

Good luck and congrats!
Hey kiddo, stop by my chocolate blog, Mexican Chocolate Lore and More, I have an award for you. :)
Unknown said…
i'm passing an award to you :)
Yasmeen said…
We have oats almost every day.Classic oat meal raisin cookies are the best.
giz said…
I love these plump little spheres of goodness. They do look a little dangerous. This would rank in the make them, try one and get them into the freezer right away category.
PG said…
I've been in muffin mode but I haven't actually translated that mode into actual effort to make them.

I prefer shotgun too. Mind you, I'm a terrible passenger.

Have a good last week of internship. I'm coming to the end of my program too (thank god). What's next?
PG said…
Shoot...I forgot my original reason for coming. We've got an award for you. :)
Maggie said…
Great choice of spices! I'm not a fan of raisins in cookies but I bet the orange zest/ginger/cinnamon would be great with dried cherries or cranberries. I'll be giving them a try.
CECIL said…
Lemme count the ways - CONGRATS FOR BEING DOCTOR!! :) And oh I have always loved all your baking but this, if I may, top everything. Impressive!! Of all cakes there is in the world, angel food cake is one of my favorites. You have 4 dogs?! Er..*clearing throat and hang head down* I am not a huge dog person, but I know one day we'll have a dog, and I am so going to make my husband sign an agreement 'ONLY 1 DOG'. Haaa..

My grandparents had 8 when I was a kid..and between loving them (the dogs) and all, it's wayyy too much work.
I think I can speak for everyone when I say we're all very proud of you, Doc.

If you think school is hard, wait until you're actually working! :-D

That's a great cake that would make any good mother swell with pride and rejoice in her dessert jackpot.
Joanna said…
i think i could honestly drink hoisin sauce straight from the jar... with a straw. gotta have a straw!! haha
Pam said…
OMG, this cake looks great, yummy !!
great blog...:)
xo