Hop Butterscotch Bread

Amazingly, it's August already. The super hot, often forgotten month during summer. Ever notice people love July and June, but when August comes around, it's like blah? There's no holidays or celebration, it's just HOT. It's like when you preheat your oven to anything above 400*... you just feel the seeping heat coming into the house :) From the talk around here, the warm weather lasts nicely until early October, so I'm pretty happy about an extended season. It's enables a little bit more good times to roll in.

I've been a little absent on the blogsphere lately, and only been able to post about once a week. This is kind of our busy season, so I'm trying my best to keep up. As always, thanks for coming by, and thanks to my friends for helping me eat all this stuff. I'm currently in weight gaining mode so I can compete again next year, so I'm opening up my diet a little bit. However, I can't eat whole cakes by myself... well, I shouldn't :) Good thing my mother taught me how to share.

This is a quick breakfast bread I through together. I tried doing the marbling thing, but I learned something about myself today. I'm just not a good marbler. Nope. I never played with marbles, I didn't like this game on Nintendo, I try to avoid marbled fatty meat, and I can't seem to get my swirls down. I tend to either over do it, which turns it into a homogeneous color blob, or not enough... which kinda results in the same thing :)

How do you marble? Is there any tips for something so easy? Should I go sit back in preschool and learn?


Butterscotch Marbled Banana Bread
Dr. Adam

-1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 tsp baking soda

-1/2 tsp salt

-1/2 tsp nutmeg

-2 blackened, ripe, be careful picking them up or they'll leak bananas, mashed-ed
-1 1/2 tsp vanilla
-1 egg

-1 Tbs oil (grapeseed or whatever you have)

-1/2 cup milk

-3/4 cup butterscotch chips, melted


Preheat your oven to 350*. Set up the center rack, and grease a standard loaf pan.


In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt together.


In a medium bowl, mix the bananas, vanilla, egg, oil, and milk, until it is an evenly mixed, sweet, mushy, wet mess.
Add the wet banana ingredients to the dry bowl, and stir until combined together. I try not to overmix this step, we just fold over and over here.

Pour into the greased loaf pan, and then top with the melted butterscotch chips, in dallops around the pan. Using your best swirling skills, use a knife and make a few passes, marblizing the batter. Good luck :) Bake for ~40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.




For those of you who were my buddies way back when (thanks for sticking around :) ) you'll remember this post. It's real close, because this is my go-to recipe. It does no wrong. It saves puppies from burning buildings. It cures sweetness and hunger :) I also found a Vanilla Sugar post when I searched for a banana bread with butterscotch. It's from Dawn, a good friend of mine, who is currently in vacation mode. Her desserts are always awesome, and to know that we can think the same, well makes me awesome too :)

I have to head to work today for a few hours. Saturday work is kinda fun actually. It's lax and everyone is in high spirits and well rested when they come in. Enjoy your weekend, and stay out of the August heat :)

Comments

Snooky doodle said…
ok no marbling here but it does look delicious!
LizNoVeggieGirl said…
You had me at butterscotch... perfection.



Nope, no marbling here either.
Anna said…
I wish my August was 'blah' amounts of hot; we still have torrential rain galore in Britain (quelle surprise, sigh). If you looked out of the window you'd guess it at about October or November, no kidding.

I wish I got to be in weight-gaining mode, that kind of sounds like a dream. A dream with butterscotch in, and I can't help on the marbling front (my usual approach is: 'let's all hope for the best!') but I so would not turn this down.
Maria said…
I am in weight gaining mode too:) Lost a lot of weight due to GI issues, etc. It is not easy to pack on the pounds, maybe I should eat a whole loaf of your bread. It looks fantastic! I am trying to do it the healthy way though, so it is a process!
Selba said…
Here in Jakarta, almost the whole year is hot temperature (although we have 2 seasons - hot and rainy), but then it's very high humid so it's more bearable compares to the dry one which can hurt to the skin and kinda difficult to breath.

Love banana bread but I don't think that I familiar with butterscotch :)
Pam said…
I am not a good marbler either. This bread looks fantastic - I love that you used WW flour.
Kerstin said…
Yum, I love the idea of a butterscotch banana bread!

I see you're a bodybuilder - my hubby will be in weight gaining mode in September and I'm already excited to get away from all the chicken for a bit :)
Chibog in Chief said…
I gain weight I lose weight :-) anyways i just stop paying attention :-) LOL, love the idea of banana butterscotch bread!! marble or not it doesnt matter it looks good to me :-)

ps, i think the best marbling technique is the way you pour them on your mold..not really sure though!!have a nice week!
Gloria Baker said…
I love this bread Adam, really love, look awesome, so tasty and yummy!! xx Gloria
Emily said…
So I don't know if I can give you any marbling advice, but I do know this bread looks great! It sounds delicious to me.

Don't worry about being busy. I think this is the wrong time of year for food blogging.
hungryandfrozen said…
I was totally your friend back then! But don't remember that post. oops :/

This looks so good, lack of marbling be damned. Am impressed that it is pretty low fat too without sacrificing quality/flavour. Wish wish wish we could get butterscotch chips here in NZ but I bet white chocolate would be a good sub. Enjoy your warm August, bloody freezing here in NZ right now!
What I hate about August is that it means my end-of-July vacation is over. Even though summer is my favorite season and I don't want it to end, August feels to me as if the summer is already over. I try to plan as much fun stuff as possible to plan for that. I still have my Sweet Treat of the Week, which I am insane enough to do in the heat.

So what if you can't marble? The combination looks delicious.
Unknown said…
so for those of us not in weight-gain mode, we're doomed by your delicious baked goods? ~sigh~ you and dawn are both awesome :)

i never forget about august... since my birthday hides there somewhere;)
The recipe is fantastic my friend. (For awhile there I thought you were going to say you "lost your marbles" which is why you couldn't marble!!!) Fill, drop marbling batter by the tablespoonfuls and swirl with a knife. I just know I have got to try this butterscotch delight.
Steph said…
I've never tried marbeling before. It's probably a good thing, since I'd probably get too paranoid about over mixing the batter. Plus, I like my flavours separate.. at least most of the time. I know what you mean about Aug. Time flies! Before we know it, we'll probably start to bake Christmas cookies!
miss v said…
i didn't realize you were going to compete again. you should change your profile to say 'semi-retired' bodybuilder.


and i'll help ya eat that cake... if you'd ever invite me over. ;)
Astra Libris said…
Adam, your butterscotch banana bread looks absolutely perfect! Who needs marbling when you have such a dreamy, ready for the cover of a magazine loaf of banana bread... with butterscotch??!! Oh my goodness, I simply can't describe how excited I am about this gorgeous recipe... :-) W.O.W.

Hooray for Lister's Tubercle and the Extensor Pollicis Longus! ;-) I should probably be embarrassed by how psyched I was about your Lister's Tubercle reference... :-)

Dr. Adam, as always, you rock! :-)
anudivya said…
Marbling does not show well when you bake with whole wheat/whole wheat pastry flour. Only thing that flaunts it off beautifully is all purpose flour. Something to do with the white color and light texture. I failed miserably too before I realized that.
But really who cares, your bread looks prety darn delicious.
theUngourmet said…
So our bodies are 20% Jokes and Knowledge?? Good to know! :0)

Good looking cookies! Better than I could do in a rush. Oatmeal cookies are my favorite too!
Shaheen said…
Oh my goodness, this sounds truly delicious! Why have we not heard of this in the U.K.
Mini Baker said…
yummmm! I love butterscotch! I also love your blog, one of my new favorites :)
-Mini Baker
Marta said…
hahahaha I'm sorry the marbling didn't quite come out right, but the bread looks delicious!
I'm a good marbler. It takes years of experience, though, I'm not sure I can summarize all there is to it in a comment... I'll try, for you only, though: try using a knife for thicker batters and a chopstick/skewer for thinner ones. Insert the marbling device in the batter, and liberally swirl it around and back and forth, all across the pan. Presto! You should be all marbled now!
CookiePie said…
Those cookies look great! I love oatmeal cookies with everything in them. YUM!!
PG said…
Can you explain this "weight gaining mode" business? And...where do I sign up?
Bill Medifast said…
Banana bread is already a major hit in my house and adding butterscotch would just make it even bigger.

This looks like a delicious recipe. I've done chocolate chip before, but never thought butterscotch.

Thanks for sharing this,

Bill M.