Thinking Outside the Tart

Ok, I maybe was a little crazy today. To quote one of my favorite Jack Nicholson quotes "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here". Here's my story:

See plums are one of my favorite fruits in the summer. They have a nice mix of sweet and sometimes sour, they don't make a mess when you eat them, and they are made for baking. I never ate them much growing up, but ever since I've started my "healthy eating revolution" about 3 years ago, fruits and vegetables have become good friends of mine. So I had these nice, firm, dark purple plums chilling in the back of the fridge, and I got an idea. Plum tart. Plums go with tarts just like coffee goes with mornings, or wine goes with good times.

So I was throwing together my verison of a more healthy tart dough. I've watched my Alton Brown before, and I know about how butter and flour work together... and how butter is the secret to a flakey, crumbly crust. So I went to the fridge and I only had a like 2 Tbs of butter. Bummer. What's a guy to do? If you're looking for someone who likes to run out to the market for one thing, you're not going to find him here. So... I thought back to making pierogi dough with my grandmother, and it came to me. Sour Cream. Beautiful. If you're Polish, you ALWAYS have Sour Cream in the house. So, I put on my best MacGuyver hat, and went with it.

The house was hot. It's about 87 today. I really, really, really didn't want to use the oven. I looked over at the grill and a lightbulb went on. I've grilled pizza before... and a tart is sort of a fruit-ish pizza right? So how about that? Once I assembled the tart, I turned on the grill, got the temperature where I wanted it, and put it on a baking sheet on the grill. Fingers crossed, I waited for about 30 minutes, and I realized something...

Crazy and genius is a fine line, ladies and gentlemen.


Chill it and Grill it Summer Plum Tart
Recipe by Adam


-1 1/2 cups AP flour
-1/4 cup sugar
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
-4 Tbsp light sour cream
-1/4 cup of cold water, about - give or take a Tbsp

-4 ripe, firm, purple plums, cut into ~1/8ths

-1/2 cup almonds, chopped semi fine
-2-3 Tbsp cherry jam/preserves
Powdered sugar, for dusting

In a medium sized bowl, add flour, sugar, and salt. Place small butter pieces in the bowl and mix with a food processor, or your hands (if you're poor like me) until it resembles crumbs. Add sour cream, mix until it sticks together, and add water slowly until a wet, very soft dough forms. Form into a disc and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Roll out the dough until about 1/8" thickness, into a circle or rectangle. Spoon jam/preserves over the dough, leaving about 1/2 inch border around the outside. Place sliced plums, cut side down, in a few rows, over jam. Sprinkle chopped almonds over the plums, and fold edges up and over the plums, so a loose border is made. It should look "rustic" or like a tart only a mother could love.


Place tart on a baking sheet, and onto a preheated grill. The grill should register about 425-450* on the thermostat. Bake on the grill, checking occasionally, until the crust is golden brown, and plums soften up. Remove, cool on a wire rack, and dust with powdered sugar when completely cool.

For kind of throwing this together, I really like this tart. I'm going to try it in the future with other seasonal fruits. If it isn't sweet enough for you, try adding some brown sugar with the fruit before baking/grilling. I think I'm going to enter this into Lore's Culinarty "Originals Recipe Round Up".

So that's it. End of story. Whew. If you're still reading this, I put a poll on the right about whether I should start a weekly post about exercise/nutrition/workout advice. I'll still post a recipe or two a week, but on weeks that I can't bake, I think this would be a great idea to educate anyone that has any questions about gaining/losing weight, or about being more healthy in general. I am not a registered dietitian, but I have training through my undergrad, chiropractic, and what I read on my own. Let me know what you think, and if you have any particular questions I should address. Thanks cool cats.

Comments

LizNoVeggieGirl said…
Adam, you're a genius!! Love your tart creation; and I too love plums (they're finally at their peak right now!)
Christine said…
Plum tart! It's my favorite, though know one would know it since I rarely make it... But that's amazing, on the grill! And great idea with the crust. I remember making a sour cream pie dough that came out beautifully.

Good luck with the contest!
Elle said…
Genius! Plums are one of my favorites, too. And so are Bill and Ted. :) They still crack me up. Because my inner child is still about 13.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Yours is great--I'll be back.
Steph said…
Wow! What a smart way to improvise with so little butter and reduce the butter. I've never eaten a tart lie this, although it's probably similar to pies without the 1000g of sat fat.

By the way, I would love to read about posts on exercising, nutrition, etc. I find it interesting, especially since I used to be the biggest junk food lover ie an entire big bag of chips/day.. eww.. i know! I try to healthify desserts now, but am still unsucessful. What started the whole healthy eating/exercise change for you?
Anonymous said…
Hey Adam, I would like to read posts about exercise/nutrition.

Shalini
Emily said…
Ohhh, your title is so clever. ;)

I like the idea of a light pastry dough - I need that! And I love plums, so this looks great. I'm not so great at grilling though.
Chibog in Chief said…
this is a genius and original entry for Lore's event!! love the title of this recipe :-) chill and grill btw sounds really yummy
Lore said…
First thing's first : you're a GENIUS! We're looking at some very hot days ahead and the idea of grilling the tart will be such a relief for many of us.
Even if I'm not Polish I know what you mean by always having sour cream in your house. I would normally have sour cream but not whipping cream in my fridge.
Thanks so much for participating!
Clumbsy Cookie said…
I had to laugh when I read that Polish allways have sour cream arround. I've lived with some Polish and they tend to put it in pretty much everything!
Great idea to put the tart on the barbecue! I like your idea of the healthy posts, I would sure enjoy reading them.
test it comm said…
That plum tart looks really good! I am looking forward to the plums. Great idea using the sour cream.
hungryandfrozen said…
You have a way with recipes - I so want to make this :) And ohhh perogies. I could eat a vat of them anytime.
Anonymous said…
Hey nicely done Adam! I love the idea of a grilled plum pizza. It's very wise not to turn the oven on these days! You are lucky to live upstate where you can actually have a grill outside your door. Damn I'm jealous now!
Adam, thanks for stopping by my site. Yeah, brisket is a regular at our house. So many ways to prepare it, so little time...
I love your plum tart. That would be a great dessert for after a BBQ. Thanks for sharing.
Adam said…
Veggie - Thanks I do what I can :) Yeah it should be a fun season. Do I see a plum dish in your blog future?

Christina - Thanks. It's always nice to find another plum lover. Good call on the pie dough.

Elle - Thanks for stopping by. Your inner child is more than welcome here.

Steph - I'm glad you're interested. I'm more than willing to share my fellow 2 cents with a fellow past chip eater.

Shalini - You got it.

Em - Thanks a lot. The grilling isn't that bad. You set it there, and just leave it alone for awhile :)

Dhanggit - Thanks. I'm proud of the entry too. I hope you enter the contest also.

Lore - Thanks for your help with the entry. I'm looking forward to the contest.

Clumbsy - Haha that's great. I was hoping someone knew what I was talking about with those crazy Poles :)

Kev - Thanks a lot Bud.

Laura - Thanks for the compliment. You're definitely an originator also. And yes, there will be a pierogi post eventually. They require a team effort.

Zen - Thanks man. Can't you sneak a small grill on your balcony or something?

Teresa - Yeah that brisket and the tart would make a nice meal.
Shreya said…
Hi, I am new here, and I love the colour of your plum tart!
Dragon said…
Cooked plums are my favourite way of eat them. This looks so good.