Pumpkin Lite

How was everyone's Halloween? From the looks of it, everyone had a great time. I think whether you love Halloween or think it's a totally commercial lame holiday, you have to agree on two things:
  • The decorations are probably the most fun out of any other holiday
  • 30-50% off Halloween candy starting November 1st is pretty sweet
While it's not the most masculine trait I have, my family always instilled guerrilla type shopping skills after holidays. I'm not talking like ducking and rolling around through the aisles, (been there) but more like secret stealth money saving. Nothing says you can't use Halloween stuff like cups and kitchen stuff year round. So what if a spatula is orange? Orange is cool.

So to round out the Orange theme, I have yet another pumpkin recipe... because what are you supposed to do with half a can of pumpkin in the fridge anyways? I guess I COULD eat it out of the can... I do eat just about anything (what can I say, protein powder enables you do eat just about anything taste wise)

So, about a year ago... did I just say that? A year? Wow.

So about a year ago I did an angel food cake recipe. I really dig angel food cake. It has literally no fat, some protein, and... a ton of sugar. Oh well, 2 outta 3 ain't bad. But I like it because angel food cake tastes like nothing else. The texture is soft yet chewy, with this sticky almost tang thing going on. It's like cotton candy in cake form. I dunno it's just a neat thing.

So what if we just add some pumpkin and spices to it? That'll work.

I took the old recipe I just listed above, and added some spices and the rest of the canned pumpkin. It was poured into the pan, flipped, and let to cool. Just keep in mind that because pumpkin is a wet ingredient, you might have to up the baking time a bit. Soggy angelfood cake does not make fun and delicious eats. Its like the equivalent of wearing wet socks all day. Squidgy and weird.

But when it turns out perfect.... it's really awesome :)

So here's the recipe, cut, pasted, and changed :)



Cranberry Orange Angel Food Cake Recipe by Dr. Adam

-1 cup cake flour
-1 1/2 cups of sugar
-12 egg whites
-1 tsp cream of tartar
-1/4 tsp salt -1 tsp vanilla
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp cloves
-1/2 tsp nutmeg
-Half a small can of pumpkin puree

Super easy recipe. Preheat your oven to 350*. Set your rack to the bottom if you are using an angel food cake pan, or middle if you are using something else.

In a large, metal or glass bowl (make sure it's clean, no grease or grime), whip the egg whites with an electric mixer. Don't use your arms... they will probably fall off. Whip the whites on medium speed for a bit, and mix in the cream of tartar and salt. Take the speed up a notch, and as it comes together, add a little of the sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time. Keep adding sugar as the whites increase in volume, and all of the sugar has been used. You want some soft to semi firm peaks forming.


Fold in the flour, gently, and return to beating the mixture so it's well incorporated. Once the flour is in, add the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Continue to mix on medium, until the colors of the batter turn into a orange brown (the spices are mixed in well then). Turn off the machine and fold in the pumpkin with a spatula, being careful not to over mix the batter or get it all over the counter.

Pour the batter into the angel food pan, making sure it's very clean of grease and dirt, and smooth over evenly. Place the pan into the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top of the cake is golden brown, and dry to the touch.Immediately take the pan out of the oven and flip it over, so the dome cylinder thing in the pan is supporting the pan and cake. Let it cool like this until it's cool. Run a knife around the edge, and take it carefully out. Serve it up.





I may not be the first cat to think of this cake, but it's my first time eating it. I was happy with the results, and so were some of the girls at the Halloween party. What can I say, I get a couple of points on the scoreboard here and there :P

Happy November, and I hope everyone is staying warm and safe. I'll be out of town this weekend and in Florida for a seminar, but I'll catch up with you when I get back. And speaking of last years recipe, is anyone else excited for cranberries? Fall fruit is great :)

Random thing.... Bon Jovi is on TV right now celebrating 25 years. To be cool and do something you like for 25 years is remarkable. Good for them :)

Comments

I think this may be the angelfood cake of my dreams. Totally for real!

Omg, cranberries! I'm so excited. I'm a fresh cranberry virgin. You got any great recipes??

My family and I have the guerilla shopping skills too, only we ARE the ducking and rolling type! ;D We're the ones you see on the news in Wal-Mart at 4am on black friday fighting for that flatscreen tv!
LizNoVeggieGirl said…
Haha hell yes for holiday shopping :) Oh and that skeleton joke on the side?? Cute.

Love this angel food cake variety!
Unknown said…
wowsa, this is dynamite! i was wondering about the moisture of pumpkin... adn then you went and told me to bake it longer :) i'll have to give it a tri!
Velva said…
Dr. Adam that is a mighty good pumpkin lite angel food cake! So you whipped this up with leftover canned pumpkin that you had in the refrigerator? Impressive.
I love angel food cake when it has flavor to it. Most taste like air---blllah.
Now this version sounds good to me. I might go ahead and drizzle a bit of dark choco on there, but I doubt you would mind.
Maria said…
I can't get enough pumpkin! Love your cake. Have a great time in Florida. Soak up some sun for me-as long as you are wearing sunscreen:) Have fun!
Christine said…
Wow, this looks incredible! The texture and the addition of pumpkin and spices. This would be good with a... wait for it... homemade jellied cranberry sauce!

Have fun in Florida!
Megan said…
I'm thinking maybe a little maple glaze over the top. Just a little?
Pam said…
I haven't had angel food cake for a long time - making it pumpkin is brilliant. Mmmm.

Have fun in Florida.
Steph said…
I was just thinking about eating the rest of my pumpkin after making the holiday bundt. Having different containers of frozen food bugs me sometimes and I would rather 'suffer' through eating pumpkin from the can!

You are so brave with adding pumpkin to an angel food cake! I still don't think I can handle making a regular one.. the risk of possibly wasting 12 egg whites is a little too much for me..haha. And the whole wet socks thing, now that's all I will be able to think about everytime I eat undercooked cake...great...
Ivy said…
Wow, this is genius Adam adding pumpkin to an already delicious cake. Have a great time in Florida.
Selba said…
Yummm... the cake looks so good! I want a slice of it! oh.. no.. no.. no... I want the whole cake! :D

Wow, Bon Jovi is already 25 years? Wow.. time flies so fast! I remember I went to the concert "Cross Road" in Singapore.. and it was... uhmmm... oh my... almost 15 years ago!!! Love the song "Always" :)
PG said…
How do you know how to make all of these recipes? Last time I attempted to make up my own baking recipe, I thought 3-4 cups of sugar was about right. Granted, I was about 8 - but the experience stuck with me.

Anyways - seriously - the whole guy cooking slant really works. So, keep bringing the baked goods.

Enjoy Florida.
Clumbsy Cookie said…
I really wish I was there now to buy all thata 30-50% off candy! My hips, probably don't enjoy that idea so much... Lovely cake Adam! Love the picture of the top crust (my favourite cake part hihihih)!
miss v said…
this will be my go-to recipe when i'm wooing girls at a halloween party. what a funky little combo of fall ingredients!
Maggie said…
This sounds awesome! I'm overloaded with all the squash and pumpkins I grew this summer and have to add this to my baking list. Maybe with some orange curd to use up all the leftover yolks?
Emily said…
Oh wow, the cake looks amazing, Adam! I'm going to remember this recipe, because I honestly think I've only baked angel food cake once. I'm glad it worked with the pumpkin.
Emily said…
Orange stuff IS cool.
Sue said…
Wow, Adam, This is awesome. That cake looks amazing. Wouldn't it be good with only-for-this-season Edy's pumpkin ice cream? Oh, we're trying to be healthy? If you're having angel food cake, can't you have a little ic with it?

And, yup, I adore cranberries.
Oh "Dr. Adam" (!) I am impressed. The cake is beautiful. Good job.
Kerstin said…
What a great idea to add pumpkin, it looks addicting! We're heading to Target tomorrow and I'm crossing my fingers that they still have discounted candy left!
hungryandfrozen said…
It's scary to think that a whole year has gone by! That cake looks goooorgeous, again I lament that we have no canned pumpkin here in New Zealand.
Bunny said…
That looks absolutely outrageous!! Love that first pic of the cake in the pan! Great JOB!!
Chibog in Chief said…
Belated Halloween Adam! I bet yours was a blast!!

love this angel food cake!!i'll be eating this with some ice-cream i guess :-)
Barbara said…
This is the ultimate angel food cake. No question! Super photos!
Tom said…
25 years of Bon Jovi? That makes me feel really, really old!
Donna-FFW said…
Dr Adam.. that just looks to be about the most gorgeous angel food cake lately that Ive ogled. Nicely done!
Donna-FFW said…
Dr Adam.. that just looks to be about the most gorgeous angel food cake lately that Ive ogled. Nicely done!