Oatmeal Creme Bars

I'm glad everyone had a safe and Happy New Years. I've looked around, and there are some awesome resolutions out there, and it's great that everyone is starting out so goal oriented and focused. In a world filled with so many distractions and events that are always happening, it's sooo easy to loose sight of things. If you don't believe me, check out your Facebook Live Feed, or how many texts you have sent on your phone this week. I bet the number will surprise you :)

On that note, there was 13930480 people on the treadmills today. Ok, that's not the exact number, I just rounded up to the next one :) While I'm happy people are taking their bodies and health into their own hands, I was surprised to see the weight training area more empty. Seriously... strength training is really where it's at if you want a body transformation folks :) Promise...

Maybe I need to post a weekly exercise to get people motivated.

Anyways, here's a cookie recipe from last month that I really enjoyed. It has my old powerhouse boy Oatmeal, and I was asked to actually make this recipe not once, but twice. Aaaand a patient asked for the recipe.

Do you really need to know anything else to see if it passes the 'try me delicious' test?

Having someone ask you to make something again is like being out on a second date. Apparently something went right the first time :)


Oatmeal Creme Bars (Look I spelled Cream all European like)
Dr. Adam


-1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

-1 cup brown sugar

-1 cup rolled oats

-1 1/2 cups AP flour
-1 tsp cinnamon

-Dash of salt
-

1 pkg. cream cheese, soft at room temperature

-1 can sweetened condensed milk

-1 tsp vanilla


Preheat your oven to 350*. Line a 13x9 pan with foil, and grease it well.


In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together. Add the oats, flour, cinnamon, and salt, and mix well, until it is clumpy, and dough forms. It should be a little dry, but able to hold it's shape when packed together. Test it with your hands first.


Press HALF of this mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. It should stay together and form a crust on the pan.


In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, condensed milk, and vanilla together, until no lumps remain and it is smooth.
Pour this over the bottom crust in the pan, and smooth over evenly. Sprinkle the remaining oat/flour mixture over the filling so it completely covers the pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown on top. Let it cool completely on a wire rack for a few hours, lift it out of the foil, and cut into squares.


Ah... a bar fit for breakfast champions. Ok, maybe not exactly... but come on, just like a half of one :)

Everyone have a fantastic rest of the weekend, stay warm, and if you have any exercises in particular you have questions about, let me know. Sure, you can probably find form and technique pictures and advice anywhere on the Internet, but they probably won't have movie references and make you laugh :)

Comments

Unknown said…
happy new year adam! i was not one of those on the treadmill today... maybe tomorrow. maybe weights instead if my knee is cranky. or maybe i should stay home and make these. b/c these are the things my dreams are made of! oh, well, at least my childhood :)
Velva said…
I think you do need to post a a weekly excercise post. I certainly could use the motivation. :-) I love these oatmeal breakfast bar of champions!

Happy New Year to you!
Selba said…
Happy New Year 2010, Adam!
Good breakfast to me! Happy new year, Adam!
Maria said…
Happy New Year! One of my goals is to do more strength training this year. I do a decent amount now, but there is always room to improve. Thanks for your comment on my blog. Loved your advice. I am determined to reach my goals this year, my life will be better with an extra ten pounds on me:) Good luck with your presentation! And the bars look delicious!
theUngourmet said…
I'm a big fan of oatmeal as well. These do look terrific!

Are those your dogs?

Happy New Year!
Ivy said…
My best wishes for 2010!! May it bring lots of health and happiness this coming year to you any your family :)
Snooky doodle said…
How yummy! these look delicious. Do you know how much grms a package of cream cheese is? since here there are different sizes. I ll sure try these out :) Happy new year!
Clumbsy Cookie said…
Ahahahah I loved the idea of making something twice is like going on a second date! You're too funny Adam! But who wouldn't like a second date with those beauties?!
yes siree bob, strength training will give you the ultimate body indeed. I am (almost) living proof, but it takes a while, a long time, but the results are slow and real. real, is what kept me going.
whose cutie dogs are those? adorable.
I would love to try these bars, but I have no oven. I am a sad baker.
Unknown said…
Hello adam
does creme look better than cream ? I knwe we european are not that old fashioned !!
Happy new year to you and family
I am pierre a french foodie who loves to cook french creative food cheers from paris Pierre
http://pierre.cuisine.over-blog.com
Dewi said…
Happy New Year to you and your family Adam. May this year bring lots of happiness.
Cheers,
elra
Gloria Baker said…
Happy New Year dera Adam, I hope this year will be nice and fantastic to you!! gloria
Thistlemoon said…
"Seriously... strength training is really where it's at if you want a body transformation folks :) Promise..."

LOVE IT, Adam!!!!!!

Happy New Year! Great way to kick it off with those oatmeal bars!!!
Happy New Year!

When I first saw the post title, I kept thinking of Little Debbie, but clearly you outdo Little Debbie by several miles.
PG said…
Good job on the French insertion -- always makes food sounds fancier.

Happy New Year buddy! Hope your holidays were good.

I'm interested in knowing more about the weights vs. cardio. I just joined a new gym (after moving across town my former gym is too far). This gym has a tonne of machines -- cardio, free weights and machine weights. I know that free weights are better - but it's kind of intimidating in that part of the gym. So, I spend most of my time with the cardio and weight machines. If you're taking post requests -- what's the best combination? Also, if I were to add free weights on, what are some minimal exercises (praying that you don't say squats although I know you will).
Emily said…
OH man, these look so good!
Barbara said…
Happy New Year!
And because I am watching what I eat for a couple weeks after my shameful indulging for 3 weeks, I cannot make these immediately. But am copying the recipe just the same! Anything with condensed milk in it HAS to be delicious.
Dee said…
I really should make these, shouldn't I? Much like how I should have at least bothered to make up a few well-meaning resolutions. I'm weak.
It will please you to know that I spent 25 minutes on the stairmaster yesterday. While thinking of the lamb I was going to roast, but still... :)

Happy new year, Adam!
Weight bearing excercise is definitely the way to go especially in my advanced years:D
Pam said…
Oh Adam - I wish I had one of these to cure my sweet tooth right now. They look mighty tasty. Happy new year!
Donna-FFW said…
These sound fantastic, Adam. I love the creamy filling and the oat layers, a delicious treat for sure!
Jannett said…
I will be trying these...they look yummy... :)
Steph said…
I bet this was super addicting with the sweetened condensed milk and cream cheese!