Kid Cookie Christmas

I have a confession to make... and you're probably going to laugh.

It's late December, one week until the fabled day. and that means Christmas music is ALL OVER the place. You can't escape it... and its ok sometimes. Just ok.

Well, today I couldn't really take it anymore. I've heard Mariah Carey I think 200 times already. Sure that's a fun song, but maybe we all need a little something extra for Christmas once in a while :)

So this I found this 90's station. And I don't know exactly how to explain this, but I listened to everything from Fuel to MC Hammer, to Ace of Base, to RHCP to STP. It was a real throwback to all the years that I grew up. Was I born with an 80's on my birth date? Sure... but I don't remember those days as much as I remember the 90's. Ah... what a nice break from the holiday madness :)

Here's a throwback cookie from my childhood... Thumbprints! How can you not be a kid and like these? I mean you make them, press them, and fill them with jam goodness. I love it because the combos are endless. If you're in a apricot, strawberry cherry, or blueberry mood, it does it all :)

Hope everyone is having a fantastic holiday season. I've been wicked busy with work and everything, but once all the dust settles I should be a ton better. I've been making cookies for office parties, cookie exchanges, and a whole lot more. Talk about loading up the single guy with no family commitments this season. Just kidding... its cool, this is really what the season is all about... helping out each other.


90's Thumbprints
Dr. Adam
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds (use a food processor or spice grinder, it's easy)
-1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
-1/2 cup sugar

-1/4 tsp salt
-1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut up into small pieces

-Any fruit spread, preserves, jelly, jam...


Preheat your oven to 350*. Line a couple cookie sheets with parchment paper.


In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together, the flour, almonds, sugar, and salt.
Pour the butter into the bowl, and using your clean hands, rub it together until the crumbs becomes larger, and a very gritty, dry dough forms. If you have a tough time keeping it together, add a little bit of water.... very little. It should stay together, but barely.

Taking small portions of dough into your hands... like 1/2 tablespoonfuls... roll each into a ball and place on the baking sheet. Once you have 12-16 per sheet, flatten each ball with your thumb or finger, so there is an indent in the center.

Fill these indents with very small (like 1/4 tsp) amounts of jelly or preserves. If you fill them too much, they will def overflow :)


Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown. Place on the pans for a few minutes, and then on a wire rack completely. Makes about two and half dozen.

The Happiest of Holidays Everyone!

I may post a couple more of the holiday cookies over the next week or so. If not, they'll make the rotation into early next year!

If anyone has any weight loss or body recomp resolutions... well you know how to find me. My resolutions are to be more organized, have a full fledged garden, bench press 330, and get a lot better at adjusting extremities :)

See you next year, if not sooner :)

Comments

LizNoVeggieGirl said…
**resisting urge to laugh**


I kid ;)


Love the cookies!
Velva said…
Amen to a little something other than Christmas music :-)
The thumbprint cookies-delicious.
Maria said…
I am sti a huge New Kids fan:) they are classic! I hope you have a wonderful holiday! Nice work on the cookies too.
Kerstin said…
I listen to the Sirius 90s channel sometimes and I love it, but it makes me feel old :) Your cookies look fabulous with the ground almonds in them - yum!
Love 90's music! Great cookies and you could always fill them with Nutella:)
Love 90's music! Great cookies and you could always fill them with Nutella:)
Ivy said…
Nineties is a period I know nothing about music, as I was at work all day coming back exhaused to cook and clean and help the kids with their lessons by the end of the day I fell asleep watching T.V.
Lovely cookies. Now I would like a citrus flavoured marmalade.
Unknown said…
haha, thanks for taking me back ;) i still have all those cds... ok, except mc hammer!

love the addition of almond meal in these cookies, i love how cheap it is at tj's so i should really incorporate it into more recipes. have a good holiday adam :)
Christine said…
Thumbprints are fun to make, and everyone really likes them. I like how you incorporated almonds into the mix, and with the white whole wheat there probably is a really nice, yet not overwhelming nuttiness. Yummy!

The only reason I'll laugh is if you haven't finished shopping yet. I'll refrain until I find out.
Astra Libris said…
Right there with ya on the 90s... ;-)

Ohhhh, do your thumbprint cookies look heavenly! I love all the jam possibilities, and I LOVE how your cookies include almonds!

Thank you so much for your wise and encouraging words on my recent post! You cheered me right up, Dr. Adam! :-) Thank you!
Snooky doodle said…
I love Christmas songs but sometimes it s too much :) These thumbprints cookies looks delicious!
90s thumbprints? I imagine that you package them with plaid flannel bows! :-)
Selba said…
Songs from the 90s are great!!! NKOTB "was" my favorite band boys :)

Merry Christmas, Adam!
Fitness Foodie said…
Great coookies! Gotta love those holiday tracks....lol
This is a fantastic cookie recipe. Have a Merry Christmas!
Thistlemoon said…
I always listen to the 90's stations. I LOVE THE 90's!!! :)

Great looking cookies Adam! Happy Happy Holidays! Enjoy!
Gloria Baker said…
Adam!! Y love your cookies!!I want to whish you a nice and fantastic Christmas (you have a lot of snow there???) and a lovely New Year, huggss gloria
Gloria Baker said…
Dear Adam fantastic cookies, I want to whish you a very Happy Christmas, huggss! gloria
theUngourmet said…
Wow! I haven't heard the New Kids Christmas album. I've been missing out! I'm really missing out on jam thumbprints. These look so delicious!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday. :D
Clumbsy Cookie said…
Hello my Adam! How's the holidays? Lovely cookies! I could eat them even all that I have been eating lately, I think that says a lot!!!
Steph said…
Reading these Christmas posts now makes me miss Mariah..how could you, Adam!! haha.