Feeling Saucy and Soupy

How's the pre-Thanksgiving festivities going? Anyone into full out cookie baking mode yet? I can feel them approaching. There's Christmas music on the radio here, and the stores have been absolutely plastered with green and red for a few weeks now. I can't blame them at all though... I read awhile back that the holiday season accounts for something like 60% of retail annual sales each year. That's not having all your eggs in one basket, but def more than half of them :)

The holidays are pretty much an awesome time. I think it's a fantastic time to enjoy yourself, keep in touch with forgotten friends, and wrap up the loose ends of your life. Come January, the gloves come off, and new goals are get set in place. Think about where you want to be a year from now, and write that stuff down, so you're held to it. Sounds a little scary to be held accountable... but that's the point :)

I've been seeing butternut squash recipes alot lately. Like over here, and here, and many more others. And I don't blame you guys, I mean they are tasty, weird looking veggies. Even more interesting is the whole "squash and pasta concept". Whoever came up with that is a genius. While there's nothing wrong with tomato sauce at all (classic) I have to admit it's nice for a change. I had a problem though.

I couldn't really care less about pasta.

Ok... ok.... ok... don't leave!

You don't want to be my friend anymore? Wait I still love tomato sauce! Well, sorry but I just like other starches better. Give me sweet potatoes, or barley, or some rye bread. And I don't feel tired after eating those either. Pasta puts me in a coma after eating. Not exactly a great thing if you still have stuff to do that day.

So I wanted to try that butternut pasta thing... but without the pasta. It's been in the colder 50s here lately... so that equals soup to me.

Butternut Tomato Soup that is.

I don't really have any specific ingredient amounts or anything, so just read along and go with it. Make the soup your own if you want. It's easy as pie. Actually pie can be a pain to make, when the dough is too warm. Soup is super easy. Dump in a pot and heat. Gotta love it :)



Butternut Tomato Soup
Dr. Adam

-1 medium onion, chopped and diced pretty small
-2 ribs celery, diced

-1 tbs olive oil


-1 can diced tomatoes, use the juice too

-1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed

-3 cups chicken stock (or any stock)

-Some wine... I used white cause it was open

-Handfuls of basil and sage

-Salt and Pepper to taste


I chose to keep this really easy. Read and follow the pics.


In a large pot... add the onion, celery, and oil on medium head. Stir frequently until the veggies sweet and soften a bit. Then add the tomatoes and squash, and cook for a few minutes until some of water evaporates. About 5 minutes.

Add the stock, and wine, and cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the squash softens up a bit. If it needs longer, just let it continue to cook until it becomes more mushy.
Add the herbs, and cook again for another 5 minutes, and the kitchen will smell aromatic and great.

Turn off the heat and let cool.
When the soup is cooler, use an immersion blender and blend the soup up to the consistency you want. Leave some chunks if you'd like, or completely puree it if that's what you want. Just be careful and don't let the soup splatter on you :) Add some salt and pepper to taste.


That's it... now you have tasty awesome soup, with a nice orange red color.

Stay tuned for some more recipes this coming holiday season. It gives me an excuse to bake a little more and spring up some sweets on my friends. I think we are doing a cookie exchange soon, and I'm sure I'll have a little pressure to be number one... not that it's a competition or anything :)

Have a great rest of the weekend, and stay warm!

Comments

LizNoVeggieGirl said…
Pre-Thanksgiving mode = in session! :)


Amen to that!! Give me sweet potatoes and other root vegetables, and I'm happy.

Love the soup recipe!
Velva said…
Nice job on the tomato and butternut soup. Fresh and healthy too!
Snooky doodle said…
i wish I had some now. I feel so cold :) this soup looks good.

http://maltesebakes.blogspot.com/
Kathy Walker said…
Looks tasty! I love the tiger soup...there are days when I am certain that I am in the middle of that kind of soup!
Steph said…
So pretty! You're so good at cutting vegetables. I'm so lazy with it, I always have this giant pieces.

Adam, how do you upload pics on your site and get them so big and clear?
Maria said…
This is my kind of soup-not the tiger one:)
I love your photos too! Fabulous! Maybe I will make this on Turkey Day since I don't eat turkey:) Have a great Thanksgiving!
Ivy said…
Your soup looks really inviting and perfect for the season.
Unknown said…
squash is awesome :) i've never played it with tomatoes though... interesting. i'm itching to start baking cookies!!! almost did, but i decided it would be best to wait until after thanksgiving ;)
theUngourmet said…
Nice soup! I love your mosaic! It's looking pretty snazzy over here lately! :D
Clumbsy Cookie said…
Ohhhhhh I wish we lived closer, so I couls change cookies with you ;) Or so you could invite me for a nice bowl of warm soup like that!
Very innovative soup idea. It's different from most other butternut soups I see around this time of year.

I forgive you for the pasta thing. We all have our food quirks. When it comes to starches, it really depends on what I use them for. I like the blandness and texture of (white) pasta when I really want to showcase what I'm serving it with. Things like barley or sweet potatoes, are meant to stand on their own and be the main event.

I'm not doing dinner this year. I'm just providing turkey, chocolate pie, and bread for dinner elsewhere. I'm off work these days, so I'm just doing one or two things per day. So far, no real stress.
That's funny. I NEVER get sleepy after eating pasta. :) Your soup sounds yummy. I also love butternut squash. Have a lovely Thanksgiving holiday my young friend.
Emily said…
Ooooh I can't wait to see what you come up with, Adam!

This soup looks sooo good. I love butternut squash.
You know we love this and think of all the extra nutrients in this soup with the butternut squash thing going on!!
Barbara said…
Love the cream of tiger soup photo!

Must admit, pasta is not my favorite either but there are a couple dishes I like. (mac and cheese for one)

But I do love butternut squash. Your soup sounds delicious. Wine is a nice touch too!

Now I'm off to the stove! Happy Thanksgiving to you!
Bunny said…
Can you believe I'm probably the only person alive that has never tried squash of any kind, except pumpkin. You sure had your creative juices flowing when you made this, it looks wonderful!
Kerstin said…
What a unique butternut soup recipe with those tomatoes in there, it sounds great! I'm already looking forward to your cookie recipes!
Awesome! I have some butternut squash in the fridge and I love the added tomato idea. Bookmarked!
That soup with wine must be so good. Looks healthy too.
PG said…
I think it would easier to not eat carbs after 5pm if I didn't like pasta.

This soup looks amazing!
Chibog in Chief said…
hehehe that cream of tiger soup gave me a good laugh!! :-)
stevesmith said…
HI,

Butternut Tomato Soup is looking very healthy.. Thanks for posting this blog..