Tropical Laziness

I'm going to say something that you'll probably agree with... and maybe has even happened to you in the past. It's not a bad thing really...

I mean nobody got their feelings hurt, my apartment is still in one piece, and I didn't lose anything. In fact, I racked my brain for such a good amount of time, that I may have actually grew a couple brain cells... (Keep your comments to yourselves please) :)

Laziness can breed creativity

You've seen it before... it's like that guy that uses a stick to push the buttons on his TV. Good idea right? But he just can't be bothered to actually look for the remote is all :)

So, the other morning, I was enjoying some coffee and checking my email, thinking of something to bake for work. It's been a little while since I made something for them, so I figured cool let's do this. Only problem was, I was out of milk. Could I have gone to the store and got some? Could I have asked around to borrow some from someone? (I couldn't give it back though).

No... of course not. It's like asking for directions. It's a last resort... the be all end all... the caboose. I just couldn't leave for milk and drive allllll the way back... So I was forced to do something that I am pretty good at doing in life.... making stuff up. This is how the next recipe is born.

Out of desperation, inspiration, and respiration comes: Tropical Brownies.

It's pretty much a combination of white chocolate, almonds, coconut, and pineapple. There is absolutely no milk in this recipe, which is a plus... good for me and my creative/lazy brain. Now I sit and wonder... if it wasn't for my lack of motivation, would I have actually come up with this?

Now if I can only put these X-men Superpowers to help all mankind :)

Tropical Brownies
Dr. Adam
-2/3 cups AP flour

-1/4 cup ground almonds

-1/2 cup sugar

-1/2 tsp baking powder

-1/4 tsp salt

-1/4 unsalted butter

-3 oz. decent quality white chocolate

-1 egg
-1 tsp vanilla

-Two Handfuls unsweetened, shredded coconut

-1/2 cup finely chopped pineapple chunks


Preheat your oven to 350*. Line an 8x8 pan (or something similar) with foil, and grease well.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a microwave safe bowl, place the butter and white chocolate together. Nuke at 30 second intervals on medium, taking care to stir well until it is all melted and smooth. Do this carefully, because you can burn the chocolate.
(Double boiler would work too... but this is a lazy post right?)

Let this bowl cool for a few minutes, and carefully add the egg and vanilla, and mix together well. Add this bowl to the dry ingredients, and fold together carefully until the batter is combined and wet. Proceed to add the coconut, and fold gently again.

Pour this batter into the prepared pan, and sprinkle the pineapple pieces on top. Press them lightly into the batter, so they are level. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the brownies spring back when pressed. Cool completely on a wire rack for an hour, and remove and cut into squares.



So was this a success? Well, for the coconut lovers at work, this got a bunch of thumbs up. I'm definitely saving this in the "summer time impress guests" category. If I could do anything differently, I'd probably dress them up with a little powdered sugar before serving. That and maybe a Mai Tai or something :) Oh, and these pictures were taken at work... I did the best I could, but we are a little short on windows in the office (no daylight there).

Enjoy your weekend folks, and while I have been a little too busy to read everyone's blog, don't worry I'll get around to it. Stay safe and stay cool :)

Speaking of X-men, what superhero would you be if you could? Should I take Wolverine before he get's taken?

Comments

Gloria Baker said…
Adam!!! (Im the first???) wow!! I LOVE your tropical Brownies, look georgeous, I love the flavours, lovely, I want to make yah! have a nice weekend, and dont work too much!!!! gloria
Maria said…
Love that photo, I've used it in a presentation before for work-I work for Utah's worksite wellness program. Nice job on the bars-very creative my friend! And I want to be Wolverine, no fair:)
hungryandfrozen said…
Genius combo :) even without milk. Yay for laziness. Also, no need to apologise for the photos - they're lovely! I judge on content anyway :D
miss v said…
nice work... your second mcguyver of late. :) and... can i come work for you? i'd love to have treats all the time - my office folks only bring doughnuts. :(
LizNoVeggieGirl said…
Amazing!! Keep feeling lazy, haha :-D
I'm a huge coconut and tropical lover. Were you around when I had my coconut kick? It was crazy and a bit intense.
And I just love that gym entrance photo. You know I would be riding that escalator, oh the exit, yeah that's it because I'm tired from having a very hard workout, yeah that's it.
Selba said…
Incredible how laziness can invent a yummy brownies!

I have never make my own brownies, usually I made the betty crocker's one or just buy it at the store. So far, only familiar with chocolate and cheese brownies.

Gotta try your tropical brownies.... uhmmm.... someday! ;)
Sarah Alaoui said…
I feel like these would taste bomb with macademia nuts...yummy blog!
PG said…
I think it's hilarious that your version of laziness is the average person's version of effort.
Kerstin said…
They look so flavorful with all that yummy pineapple and I like that you used ground almonds, I always do that too!

I wanted to be Storm when I watched the cartoon growing up - would be nice now that's it too hot here :)
Steph said…
You're so creative to make tropical brownies!

When I used to watch the cartoon version of X-men, I could never decide who my favourite was. It was always someone different.. I think I'm greedy and want all the superpowers!

Btw.. I actually picked up a weight the other day to work on my arms. My brother was making fun of me b/c I couldn't support a 5 pound weight (my body was moving too much.) I'm so weak Adam, but I'm trying! I'm taking it easy though.. 10 on each arm..HAHA. I don't think I'm going to make any progress!
Chibog in Chief said…
I could imagine you well as I read this post..Personally I hate it when I wanted to cook or bake something and there's one ingredient missing. Kudos to you for not giving up and still come up with something delicious and creative!! Anyways maybe you should have a small goat in your backyard as a pet so you'll never run out of milk LOL have a nice sunday friend!!
I am the same way. I have been known to be missing an ingredient, so I will go through every recipe I have and search the net until I find something that doesn't require what I'm missing. I could probably go out and buy what I need in the time it takes me to search.
Snooky doodle said…
wow what a nice recipe! this must be delicious! I love coconut and white chocolate, Horrayy to laziness :)
Sue said…
Are you and Rachel cooking with the same brain? 2 coconut and white chocolate blondie recipes on the same weekend! Double Yummy.
theUngourmet said…
These are definitely not your everyday brownies! I'm loving the coconut and pineapple. I agree, powdered sugar over the top would be a nice finishing touch.

I've always been fond of that Stretch guy!
RecipeGirl said…
I love the flavors that you combined- coconut, pineapple, white choc. yummm! You're right- powdered sugar would be a nice touch!
Adam, I think you ARE a super hero. These brownies look wonderful.

I think I would be STORM. That way I could make it rain here in dry old EP anytime I wanted. :)
Thistlemoon said…
This is BY FAR my favorite way to get things done in the kitchen. I may balk initially when I am missing an ingredient or so, but then I have to just put on my imaginary chef's hat and get creative! I love what you did here, Doc!
Emily said…
You're so smart! What a good idea to make blondies/brownies. You don't even need milk! Genius.

These look delicious.
Megan said…
I'm sure this tropical treat could save the world!
Pam said…
I am loving your tropical brownies - see, being lazy has some advantages. ;)

I would be Wonder Woman of course.
Dragon said…
Yummy! I'm liking your laziness!
Daziano said…
That photo is hilarious!
Dewi said…
LOL, why is that escalator be there in a first place?

Anyway, your tropical brownies sounds delicious!
If it's me, I'd go next door to borrow some milk, or use coconut milk, because I never run out of coconut milk.
Bunny said…
Great job with the bars , they look fantastic. My hubby loves pineapple, I have to try these!
Karine said…
This is the first time I hear about tropical brownies, but it looks delicious! Thanks for sharing!
Anh said…
What a joy to find your blog! You are such a good baker. I need to get my husband started with some basic baking/cooking!!!
Hey there cutie pie, how's it going? Just read your comment on my blog. So happy you like the cocoa flank. It IS delicious. As for the Horchata..it's a wonderfully refreshing rice based "agua fresca". You can make it yourself at home. Go here for the ingredients and recipe. Hugs.
They sound really good! Necessity is the mother of invention after all. I'm always tweaking recipes based on what I have on hand.
CookiePie said…
That looks fantastic! And it's so true, healthy doesn't have to mean boring or tasteless.
Peabody said…
Those look tasty. I love coconut so I am guessing these are for me.