Accidicted to World Peace

I think one of the coolest feelings a guy can have is the "Wow" feeling. Do you know what I mean? It spans all different types of scenarios, but it still brings the same point across. In my short life I've come across this quite a few times. Off the top of my head, I remember feeling that way:
  • First real "stuff" done with the opposite sex
  • Countless Jets overtime wins
  • Graduating, again, and a third time
  • Breaking a record at the gym
  • And some others...
It's that kind of stuff that gives you butterflies in your stomach. Like that cheesy feeling in the movie when the guy sees his prom date come down the stairs. That feeling that keeps you elated and cloudy, so much so that nothing can really bring you down, and it's almost like a drug. You have pep in your step, and you want to go back for more.

Danger alert. Cookies can do this on a mild level. This is the "Holy cow, well what's another one?" Grab. And grab. And grab.

I did this with these cookies. And I don't even like chocolate. What does that even mean? That means this is danger on a plate, ladies and gentlemen. This is a world conquering cookie. Why are they called World Peace? Maybe it's because they would put the world at ease if everyone ate them together. The collective smiles and sighs of relief would cause the heavens to sing and make you forget about your troubles and the fact you don't have milk for your cereal :)

I know some people don't like to post Dorie Recipe directions because then you won't buy the book, but listen.... You all own this book anyways. It's required reading. This is like a pre-requisite for being a novice ranked baker. If you don't have it yet, it's cheap now. Go. :)
World Pace Cookies
Recipe from Dorie Greenspan

-1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
-1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1 stick plus 3 tablespoons (11 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
-2/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
-1/4 cup sugar
-1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chips, or a generous 3/4 cup store-bought mini chocolate chips

Sift the flour, cocoa and baking soda together.

Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add both sugars, the salt and vanilla extract and beat for 2 minutes more.
Turn off the mixer. Pour in the flour, drape a kitchen towel over the stand mixer to protect yourself and your kitchen from flying flour and pulse the mixer at low speed about 5 times, a second or two each time. Take a peek — if there is still a lot of flour on the surface of the dough, pulse a couple of times more; if not, remove the towel.

Continuing at low speed, mix for about 30 seconds more, just until the flour disappears into the dough — for the best texture, work the dough as little as possible once the flour is added, and don’t be concerned if the dough looks a little crumbly. Toss in the chocolate pieces and mix only to incorporate.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface, gather it together and divide it in half. Working with one half at a time, shape the dough into logs that are 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least 3 hours. (The dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months).

GETTING READY TO BAKE: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
Working with a sharp thin knife, slice the logs into rounds that are 1/2 inch thick. (The rounds are likely to crack as you’re cutting them — don’t be concerned, just squeeze the bits back onto each cookie.) Arrange the rounds on the baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between them.

Bake the cookies one sheet at a time for 12 minutes — they won’t look done, nor will they be firm, but that’s just the way they should be. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let the cookies rest until they are only just warm, at which point you can serve them or let them reach room temperature.


So remember... be nitro glycerin careful with these.

For those of you interested, I've been real busy working on getting a house. I've obviously never done this before, but it takes WORK. Oh my goodness, those student loans are a black cloud to lenders. But, I swear what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and it'll be worth it :) I was pretty quiet until now because I didn't want to jinx it (I'm only a little superstitious), but now it's close to a done deal. Everything is working out with the bids, home inspection, and what not. I'll keep you posted.

Have an outstanding week :)

Comments

LizNoVeggieGirl said…
It's those "wow" moments that really make life that much more invigorating - great experiences.

Holy yum cookies!!

Fingers crossed tightly for ya with the home stuff!!
Mini Baker said…
yum yum yum! those look delish! YAY for world peace!
happy baking,
Mini Baker :)
Snooky doodle said…
wow !! these cookies surely look delicious. I ll urely say wow if I try these cookies and empty the whole plate, Good luck with the house. I m buying one too :)
Steph said…
I don't like chocolate based cookies, but I loved these!! Definitely worth all the butter.
YES those student loans are the magic death-ray to banks aren't they? I mean seriously. You can have tons of credit card loans and it means nothing, but with student loans it makes you bring yourself to your knees to the bank.
I didn't know or I forgot that you are not a chocolate freak? Weird man, weird.
Love the hitting a new record at the gym--I am actually working on that this week, so thriled.
Superbe cookies, your pictures are getting really nice.
Gloria Baker said…
eey,eyy what can I say??? (brandi Carlile) Look amzing and yummy as always, I remember you today I dont know why, but, ppst! visit my blog I have a giveaway Adam and you are welcome of course.

good look with the house and yes Oh my God! huggs! gloria
Kerstin said…
Oh yum, these look delicious and rather addicting! I hope everything goes smoothly with your home buying adventure - how exciting!
Chibog in Chief said…
wow wow wow for these cookies!!!

it would be such a great place if this world is only made with "wow" moments..but helas!! but anyways we can always try to create our own "wow" moments right?
miss v said…
i want a "wow" cookie! although i hope they taste as good with my version of a 'stand mixer': me, standing at the counter, madly mixing. better workout than curls. :)
Unknown said…
sounds like a ringing endorsement for these cookies :) and good luck finishing up things with the house! i can't imagine everything that goes into it... someday!
Dear Adam, as a chocoholic I think these cookies rock. They're simple and quick to make and even quicker to eat. The benefits of eating chocolate far outweigh the "no-no's" of overindulgence. Here is a excellent example of how we learn to curb our indulgences. My best wishes and congratulations on your house purchase. You are now officially a "grown-up". :)
Thistlemoon said…
Wow, Adam, these do look quite quite yummy!
Astra Libris said…
Adam, WOW is indeed the perfect word for these cookies!! Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. These cookies are amazing. You are amazing!

Congratulations on the house!! Sooooo exciting! I totally sympathize with all the stress and complications - when I bought my first house I was completely shocked by how close the process pushed me to a nervous breakdown... :-p but it's all so worth it! :-) I can't wait to hear about your new kitchen!! YAY for your new house!
PG said…
Maybe that's what life is about...finding the next wow moment.

Dorie Greenspan's cookbook is dangerous -- so many recipes and enticing pictures. Tried a few of them as well. Something about a cookie that can bring on world peace sounds like a recipe well worth trying.

Good luck with the house. I feel your pain with this one. We're bidding on another house tonight (another war). I'm tired of looking at places.
theUngourmet said…
It would definitely be hard to stay away from those cookies!

Congrats on the house. I hope it all continues to move in a positive direction for you! How exciting! :0)
Daziano said…
World conquering cookie? That sounds GREAT to me!!!
Pam said…
They would definitely make my heart flutter - they look rich and delicious.
Emily said…
Goodness. These cookies look delicious. I love the pictures.. they're so warm and inviting.
meg said…
Good luck with the house!

And the cookies....WOW!
meg said…
Good luck with the house!

And the cookies....WOW!
Megan said…
I love world peace cookies! I like to double the recipe and keep a log in my freezer for when we have extra kids over. And I think your right, everyone has Dorie's book! :)
Christine said…
Leave it to Dorie! This is another foodie blog trend I have yet to try, but it does sound delicious.

"Like that cheesy feeling in the movie when the guy sees his prom date come down the stairs."

Remember the scene in Napoleon Dynamite where Napoleon sees Deb in the pink dress with puffy sleeves?
Clumbsy Cookie said…
You're gonna have a house?! Cool! World peace and a house, what more can a guy want?
Maria said…
I love these cookies, one of my favorites! Glad you made them. Good luck with the house. We bought one last summer and I am so glad. Having a place of your own is so great!
I could see becoming addicted to these. They look deliciously intense.

I almost wish I didn't get a "wow" feeling from good food. I might eat less of it! :-D

What is this "Jets Wins" thing you speak of? ;-)
I'm in total agreeance (sp?) regarding the wow factor of these cookies. My mom and I made them for Christmas last year. They were a little difficult because they kept crumbling when I sliced them, but WOW, the end result was SO worth it! We'll be making them every year, and more often than Christmas!
Ivy said…
Who can resist chocolate cookies? They look delicious. Good luck with your house hunting. I don't really understand how it works in the USA but over here when a house is on sale if you can afford the amount you just buy it, sometimes you can even bargain the price a little :)
Marta said…
hahaha these cookies certainly do deliver the "wow" accomplishment! and I got that all three times I graduated too! hahaha too many years in school!!