Strawberry, White and Blue

I hope everyone had a fantastic Independence Day. Once again, I am very thankful that there was no alien attack or Jeff Goldblum sightings, because honestly, that would be pretty scary :)

I had a fantastic time with some very cool friends, and we did what we do best... swap good stories and do semi-embarrassing things. We all have different interests, but still mesh really well. If you wonder how that can happen, I think it's because fun and awesomeness never go out of style. It's pretty simple. Every time we get together, there are always a few good pics that surface, especially without any acknowledgment of the parties involved. You have to stay on your toes, right?

The fireworks were held at the state fairgrounds in Raleigh, and I think they did a great job. While I get reminded daily that I'm not a kid anymore (aches and stiffness when I wake up, being addressed as Dr., paying bills), there is something about fireworks that take you back. I'm not sure whether it's the bright colors or the loud pops and wrinkly clatter, but it makes you want to go back to the old days of Huffy Bikes and staying up so late that you get "beyond tired" and loopy at sleepovers.

So Happy Belated Birthday America, and Happy Belated Youth to all my "grown up" friends :)

Here's a couple of pics.... and of course a recipe I made not for this event, but earlier in the week.

The recipe is super easy and I pulled it from this site I like called The Kitchn. It has all sorts of great ideas for recipes and decorating, and while it's not quite a Testosterone site, is important for a guy like me who is looking at homes and needs to learn how to decorate :) The only changes I made was to take out the oats, add a little more flour, spice it myself, and add some coconut... because I wanted to :)


Strawberry Crisp
Dr. Adam
-1 1/2 cups AP flour

-2/3 cup packed brown sugar
-1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
-4 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

-Pinch of salt
-Spices to taste
-nutmeg a bit of black pepper in this case

-1/2 tsp almond extract

-Dash of milk

-2 cups sliced strawberries, or enough to fill your dish/pan

-Sugar for sprinkling - 1/2 cup

-Lemon juice


Preheat your oven to 375*
In an 8x8 pan, placed sliced strawberries in an even layer. It's ok if they overlap, as long as it coats the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with granulated sugar evenly, and sqeeze some lemon juice on top. Stir slightly to make sure it's evenly mixed and coated.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, salt, coconut and spices together.
Add the melted butter and extract, and mix with your hands until coarse crumbs form. You can add a little milk or water if needed, and the topping should form a type of stickier, crumbly dough. You really can't ruin this, just don't make it too wet, it should be dry.

Sprinkle the topping over the strawberry filled pan/dish... and bake for 45 mins, or until the top is crispy brown and your kitchen smells like the 4th of July. Let cool for a few mins, and serve.



Feel free to try this dish with whatever fruit you like, and add in just about anything. Oats, nuts, crushed cookies, probably even cocoa (within good reason). The sky's the limit.

Speaking of sky... here's some great pics from a photo-enthusiast buddy of mine... nice job W.


My favorite one... tell me you don't feel like a kid again

What's a trip to the fair without a giant turkey leg?

Have a great week blogger buds... I'll catch you on the flip. And local friends, well... as The Cars once said... Let the Good Times Roll :)

Comments

Snooky doodle said…
Seems you had a nice 4th of July. We don t celebrate it here since Im not American and I live in Europe but it s nice to see how it is celebrated. I love fireworks! That Strawberry crisp must be delicious.
Christine said…
Nice firework pictures! Whenever the topic of fireworks rolls around I think of The Sandlot.

The crispy bits looks great. In fact, I'm convinced this is the only reason crisps are in existence.
Good job w/the dessert - looks good man!
Steph said…
The crumble looks so yummy with all the strawberry juice. I'm glad you had fun on the 4th! The fireworks look so pretty. It's always so sad when they end because I would watch them forever. All this age talk just made me realize we've been blogging for one year already! Where has time gone?
Gloria Baker said…
I thinkk you have agoos and fun tiem Adam!!

Delicious dessert!
xxxGloria
Astra Libris said…
Happy July 4th weekend!! Your strawberry crisp looks beyond gorgeous!!! :-) Soooo perfect for July 4th... Awesome celebratory photos! :-)
Unknown said…
happy 4th! those pics of fireworks are fantastic :) love the additions of pepper and coconut to the crisp!
PG said…
I just made a dessert a few days ago that looks very much like this - going to post it later this week.

Happy belated 4th of July. Nice picture of fireworks. I've come to terms with the fact that my camera just can't take a good picture of fireworks. It's the camera...I swear.

Like the kitchn site too.
Maria said…
Glad you had a nice 4th. I love fruit crisps for dessert. Glad you added in some coconut and almond extract. Looks fantastic!
Sue said…
Those fireworks pictures were amazing! And that's interesting that you added black pepper to your crisp.

It sounds like you had a great time and what a huge turkey leg!
So many topics to comment on! Okay, I'll try to go in order:

I WISH I'd seen Jeff Goldblum! My b/f and I love him! ;D

Way to go adding black pepper to your strawberry crisp. People don't take advantage of that flavor in desserts often enough!

I allow myself one turkey leg per year. Even then, I always share it w/ Josh, and we rarely finish a whole one! Eeek!

And in response to your comment: I'm so jealous that your friend went to W&M. It's about an hour from my house, and that whole area up there is incredibly gorgeous!
Was on holiday and just came back. We were cruising on July 4th back from Alaska. This is such a great dessert.
Thistlemoon said…
HA! I have a similar picture of Roberto eating a turkey leg! :)

Sounds like you had a nice celebration, and that strawberry crisp looks really awesome!
Great looking crisp and great looking photos. I did see Jeff G. - on TV that is. Can't let a 4th go by without seeing Independence Day. Will and Jeff are just so good together. And that speech..Today is our Independence Day. Love it. Looks like you had a wonderful time kiddo.
Mmmnnn! Love strawberry crisp. Nice firework pics.
Emily said…
I've never eaten a giant turkey leg before. It looks sooo good!

So does this strawberry crisp. That's an excellent way to use up all of these cheap strawberries!
Anna said…
I LOVE all crisps and crumbles, and this one looks particularly delicious - it's been too long, I think! Glad you had a good time.
Ivy said…
Happy belated wishes for Independence day. Fireworks are so difficult to capture but those pictures are lovely. Your crisp sounds delicious and love the addition of coconut in it.
Nice turkey leg. You remind me that the Renassiance Faire is coming up in a few weeks. Turkey legs and scotch eggs!

Yummy dessert. We're a bit at the end of the strawberry season, but the raspberries are coming up in the farmer's markets and the blackberries are cropping up wild at the barn. I'm thinking I may have to make extra desserts for next week's Sweet Treat.
You know, I've never thought about what I'd date if I were a dairy product... Probably low-fat plain yogurt... Or I'd BE the low-fat yogurt and then I'd date the rice pudding! Yeah, that sounds right!

Hmmm I'd prefer to be known as the "Queen of SMBC" rather than "Cupcake Queen" (so many ppl already use that one!) I'm just sayin'! :D
Clumbsy Cookie said…
You do look like a kid Dr Adam, lol! I love the picture of you and the leg! Your looks awesome, I'm sure you can hear firework as well after eating, must be that good!!!
Pam said…
It sounds like you had a happy 4th! The crisp looks and sounds great - especially with the added coconut.
Oh I didn't assume that we, as dairy products, would be able to talk. But I guess dairy products can't date each other if they can't have a conversation... In which case I'd love to hang out with the Greek yogurt! I love listening to people (err.. dairy products) speaking Greek!
Chibog in Chief said…
Strawberry crisp: yummy!!
Fireworks: spectacular!!
Doc Adam devouring turkey leg: sexy!! LOL

Belated Happy American Day!!
Astra Libris said…
Just wanted to send a high five for your fondness for tofu... :-) I too will happily trade chicken for tofu any day of the week! I love the springy texture! :-)
Gloria Baker said…
Adam post other recipe please, I love your post and recipes, xoxoxoxoGloria