Get Shortbread

So just like I mentioned it a bazillion times before, I'm pretty excited that most of my favorite fruit is in it's full blown season. Strawberries are cool, but cherries and plums are really where it's at. I know chocolate or fudge withdrawl can set in pretty quick for some folks, but I say lets keep this fruit filled fun fest rocking. Honestly, it's halfway through July already... and I mean I'm seeing sales on Summer stuff. That's not a good sign for Summer longevity.

But anyways, here's a simple Plum Shortbread type recipe I like to use, especially when I buy too much fruit at the store. It's not too sweet, so you can always dust it up with a little powdered sugar, or vanilla sugar... see below (plus it makes it look real nice) :)

Oh, and there's two colors because I bought black and red plums. I bought black I thought, but I guess sometimes maybe I forget my colors or something :)



Plum Shortbread
Dr. Adam

-2 cups AP flour
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1/2 cup sour cream
-2 eggs, beaten
-4 ripe plums, pitted and sliced into wedges
-Powdered/vanilla sugar for sprinkling

Preheat your oven to 375*. Grease a 13x9 pan and set aside.

In a medium bowl, add the flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder together. Mix well.

Cut the butter up into small pieces and add to the dry mixture. Using your hands, crumble the butter into the dough until coarse big crumbs form, kind of like making a crumb topping. Add the eggs and sour cream and mix until a dry dough forms. You may want to use your hands... I think it makes it easier.

Take the dough and press it into the prepared pan, making sure it is evenly spread out. Take each plum wedge and press it into the dough a little, so it sticks to it. Sprinkle with a little granulated and/or vanilla sugar, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust gets a little golden brown. Try not to overbake, or the crust may get dry. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Super easy.
So there you have it. This is a re-make of a family crumb cake recipe I like to use, but the texture is a little different. It's a little drier, but I think it works well with the moisture of the fruit. Does anyone else have any "oh man, people are coming over... what do I do?" go-to type recipes? This falls into that catagory for me...

Have a great week, and get out and enjoy the weather :)

Comments

Unknown said…
plums are so underrated :) i just had some amazing ones from costco... wish they were still around for this treat!!
Ivy said…
If I weren't dieting I would get up and make this right now. All I can do is droooool.
Pam said…
I love plums and cherries too...this shortbread looks simply delicious.
Clumbsy Cookie said…
I would say that's plumtastic! I'm just going crazy with the cherries here, I might turn redish sometime soon!
I love plums, but I prefer to eat them out of hand. I think this would be cook with another stone fruit though. YOu have a fun base to play with.
Kerstin said…
I always enjoy reading about family recipes, this looks great! And the powdered/vanilla sugar is so pretty on top.
Steph said…
My 'what do I do recipe' is CCCs..haha.

You make shortbread looks good to me, and I'm not crazy about it..no brown sugar!! Maybe that's why I'm so obsessed with cookies. I love that you always try to combine fruits with desserts. I love chocolate, but sometimes it does get a little too heavy in the summer.
Maria said…
I ate a plum for my lunch dessert, so juicy and delicious! I can't get enough fruit in the summer. I could live off of watermelon, really:) We got fresh Rainier cherries at the market and I whipped up a crisp, will post recipe tomorrow. I am going to have to make your plum dessert soon, looks fantastic!
Christine said…
I will be expecting my stash in the mail soon. Thanks.
meg said…
Plum shortbread! Brilliant!
Adam how delicious. I want to try and make it cherries. Did you say get out and enjoy the weather? That's impossible. We reached 108 today and we're melting. Had to make left over beer-can chicken sandwiches for dinner. Refused to turn on the stove, much less the oven.
miss v said…
people never expect dessert from me because... well, because i never make it. but some of your recipes are giving me enough ammunition to be dangerous.
Selba said…
Wow... this looks so delicious!

I love Dr. Oetker products :)
Astra Libris said…
Oh, Adam, your plum shortbread looks amazing!! SO gorgeous! I love the 2 colors of plums together, perched atop the beautiful, beautiful shortbread... *dreamy sigh*
Marta said…
Hey! i just found you blog and I'm loving it! I really like the layout and your recipes.
This crumbcake/tart/shortbread thing looks amazing. What a great way to feature your favourite fruit! I love plums as well, I even love prunes. They are so under-appreciated!
My freaked-out go-to dessert would be brownies or blondies. They are crowd-pleasers and quick to put together, plus if you throw some ice cream and chocolate sauce on top, you've got a fancy dessert!
"fruit filled fun fest" ...say that 5 times fast!

Oh man, I am SO behind on reading blogs and responding to comments. I just started working at a brand new cupcakery! The owner has never worked in a bakery (or any type of food establishment), so it's been quite a ride so far! Today, one of the windows on our convection oven shattered! We had to close after we sold out of the stuff we were able to bake before the disaster struck. Tomorrow morning we have to bake all our cupcakes in an oven off-site until someone can come and fix our oven. It's going to be so hectic!

Well, anyway, sorry to go off on that tangent. Hope you're having a great day!
Gloria Baker said…
I love plums too Adam and the Plum Jam too is nice.Im nostalgic because we are in winter, we have to wait by summer to have plums here.
I love Dr., Oaker products too, sometimes I find here and are so good, your pictures are so lovely, xxxGloria
Anna said…
It's weird, but while I'm not a big fan of fresh plums, I adore them baked in this sort of thing.

-Okay, so I adore anything baked.

...Basically I just really like sugar.

This looks gorgeous with the two-tones of plums ^__^.
theUngourmet said…
These look so terrific! I'd love to try them.