Well, today... the rules are getting broken. I don't know whether it's the weather (say that 5 times fast), or the fact that I've been listening to Poison alot lately... but today, I'm going to be science-less. Yup. Low on the science, high on the fun shenanigans.
Today is all about Gym Etiquette... idea courtesy of Tony at Olive Juice. He's a super cool cat with artistic skills that makes Monet blush, which is why he deserves the name "Big Ton, creator of delicious food". Ok, I'm the only one that probably calls him that.
While there are other lists like this on the Internet... I haven't checked but I imagine... this is going to be an original one by me. These are things I have seen and experienced over the years. All of these are personal opinions, but I bet we can agree on at least a couple :) So, for the first timer walking into the gym... please remember to:
- Treat the gym like it's your home - clean up after yourself - I can't tell you how many times I put other people's weights away. They can be 20 lb weights, or 120 lb ones, and it doesn't matter how big the person is. I think if you are going to use effort to work out, then use a little more to clean up.
- If you want to scream, keep it at home - Am I saying you can't exert effort? Of course not... lifting is an intense exercise, and you need to breathe correctly and everything. We all just don't need you to sound like a girl a New Kids concert.
- Be friendly, and ask first, touch second - Ha this isn't about going out on a date, but about using gym equipment. The gym is like seats in a movie theater in the way that some stuff gets "saved" while they are gone for a second. If you aren't sure if someone is using something, ask first... it's more than likely you can use it, or 'work in with them'... share equipment.
- Don't worry about what other people are doing - Just do what you would like to do. So someone is squatting 900 lbs? It's ok, let them do what they want. The gym is about bettering yourself, and worrying about others is not going to affect your personal goals or dreams. Numero uno is number one here :)
- Don't walk in front of people who are training - This is HUGE. Here's a quick story: I am doing shoulder presses in front of a mirror. I am using alot of weight, and I need the mirror so I don't knock myself in the head. So I do a couple, and go... for... that lasssst one.... and some kid walks in front of me - Oh my goodness, I can't see!!, someone... anyone... Fear sets in... and I could've gotten really hurt. Moral of the story... just wait a second or two, then walk by... or just walk behind me.
- Does this gym have a swimming pool? Oh that's a bench - If you left something a sweaty mess, please clean it up. This kind of goes with the first bullet :)
- And finally - Get rid of the cell phone - Now, I know this might ruffle some feathers... I mean what if something important happens while you are gone? Johnny might need to get picked up from the game, or maybe you're the first one to find out that John Stamos is doing a book signing down the street... but, maybe, just maybe... it can wait. If you're in the gym for one hour a few times a week... this should be your time. Time totally devoted to you. No one should be able to contact you, and I think that's a good thing. It's relaxing, it's personal. Life can wait for the other 23 hours of the day, right?
So that's a couple of things I've learned in the past few years. I hope you smiled a least a few times :) Wait a minute, is it even possible to not smile, during a BwD post? I won't even try to hide it, I love the gym. Unless something really exciting or original is happening, it's pretty much the highlight of my day. It's probably not that big deal to you yet, but maybe one day :) Feel free to share any fun stories you have... I'm sure there's bound to be a couple. Have a fantastic weekend guys, and remember... you're awesome.