Bugs Bunny + Mac = ?

Garth: Wayne, did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played girl bunny?
Wayne: (cracks up laughing hysterically) No... no
Garth : Neither did I... I was just asking.

One of my favorite parts from one of my favorite movies of all time. Yes, I know the movie is a bit dated now (it's like 15 years already), but I love it. I love the music, I love the partying, I love the reckless abandon and challenge of impending adulthood, while still staying young and true to yourself... wow that was deep for a movie like Wayne's World. Maybe there's more to the surface than just Party Time, Excellent :)

So what does this have to do with Bugs Bunny? Close to nothing, guys and gals. Once I finished wrestling and fixing my computer this past weekend, I was back online and ready to rock. I went online and into my Reader, and was greeted with all these posts about Fall and baking. As you might have read in the last apple post... Fall baking is awesome, and like most of you, it's my favorite. The smells are great. I even have a pumpkin spice candle burning, right now. (Yes, guys can like candles... they are for, ya know... uh, when the girls come over... *sigh*)

Thing is though, I don't know when carrot cake should be baked. Is it a spring thing... with Easter and all? Or summer, because that's when carrots are in season? Or maybe it's time is right now. Yup, I'm going to go with that one. And I'm going to change my favorite carrot cake recipe. I'm replacing half of the carrots with some nice NY apples. So we have an Apple Carrot Cake... or Bugs Bunny meets Mac. I want to warn you though... the aroma this cake makes coming out of the oven is dangerous. If fall spices are your thing, you might want to leave the house, because waiting 30 mins for it to bake is like fighting Chunk Norris... impossible.


Apple Carrot Cake
Recipe by Adam
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1 cup AP flour
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp baking powder

-1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

-1/4 tsp allspice
-Pinch (
or two pinches if you're like me) cloves
-1/2 cup sugar

-1 cup packed brown sugar

-3 eggs
-1/2 cup canola or neutral flavored oil

-1/2 pound carrots, peeled and grated (about 3)

-1/2 pound apples, peeled and grated (about 3 small ones)


Preheat your oven to 350*. Grease a large 13x9 pan, or any pan you like. I used a round pan, because I really like round bundt type cakes :)


In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking soda and powder, and spices. Stir with a spoon so they are all mixed evenly, and set this bowl aside.


In a large bowl, place the sugars together, and stir with a wooden spoon so they are all mixed up. Add the 3 eggs, and mix well, so they form a nice sugary, liquidy type glaze. Pour in the oil and mix by hand or hand mixer for a few minutes, so they emulsify.


Add the dry flour mixture into the wet sugar one, and mix well. If you are using a wooden spoon, you are going to get a workout on this one. I even had to switch hands, and I rarely ever do that :) The resulting batter is very thick, but don't worry... it'll be all better soon. Once the batter is smooth, brown, and no lumps remain, fold in the carrots and apples. I think the moisture from the fruit adds a bit more liquid to the batter, and it becomes much easier to work with.


Pour the batter into your prepared pan, and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the cake springs back lightly to the touch, and a toothpick comes out clean. Baking times depend on the pan you use.

I really, really liked this new concoction of a recipe I made. I swear, right of the oven it reminded me of cider donuts... you know the ones you get at the ochard with the kids... and by kids I mean me. Now, those were the days, my friends :)

Oh, and this was actually an apple recipe that I intended to turn out this way :) To celebrate this... I'm sending this cake to two places. First, it's going to a cool site I was invited to called Key Ingredient, for their September Kickoff. Definately check them out. After that, it's going to my good buddy from America's Mother Country over at Culinarty and the Original Recipe Round Up... I personally want to thank England for showing us The Beatles, Black Sabbath, James Bond, Scones, and Lore.
Thanks for your computer support and wishes, I appreciated them. Oh, and quite a few people told me I'm awesome, which was sweet. I always tell myself that one, but it's totally different hearing it from other people :) Stay tuned for another award show this week, I'm racking them up, baby!


Comments

I know I would love this cake because I just love cider donuts!

Yes, I remember when RU and Buffalo were bottom feeders. Hopefully that will not be a thing of the past.
Carla said…
You are awesome (except for the Jets, but that can be overlooked since it isn't Browns, Patriots, or Eagles ;) )
Elle said…
You *are* awesome, Adam! And so is this cake. mmm, bookmarking it right now! I've been on the lookout for a nice carrot cake.
Antonio Tahhan said…
what are you trying to do to me, Adam?! The first apple festival I went to was while I was living in NY and that's also where I had my first encounter with... cider donuts!! So freakin' gooooood : ) Anything that comes close to those flavors is a winner in my book!
LizNoVeggieGirl said…
Haha, Wayne's World - cult movie classic ;0)

Apple-Carrot Cake??!?!??!! Did you save a big slice for me, I hope???
LizNoVeggieGirl said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Snooky doodle said…
this cake looks super delicious. Ah I really like the smell of cinnamon so this cake is sure one of my favourites. I wish to try it yours looks super moist and fragrant. You made me crave cake :-)
Yeah Adam you rock for sure. So glad to have you as a good friend. :-)
Wayne & Garth are classic; those two brought the word 'excellent' back to the norm (thankfully).
I love carrot cake, and loved that you kicked it up a notch--excellent!
Pam said…
Adam, you are alwasy impressing me with your delicous baking. I've never thought of putting apples in carrot cake before - what a great idea.

By the way, I think you rock... and Wayne's World totally cracks me up everytime I see it.
So...candles "are for, ya know... uh, when the girls come over..."

No, no...this cake is for when girls come over. And then they'll melt...just like the candles you're trying to light.

I'll be trying this out. Perhaps it will make an appearance on my bakery's menu (with your permission, of course).
You think about Wayne's World like I think about Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure! True classics.
Love your cake. Carrots and apples together, delicious. Perfect for the Fall weather. Good post kiddo.
Clumbsy Cookie said…
So I can only asume that you were expecting a lady visitor, since you a)baked a cake and b) had lit a candlle!
I'm with you on the carrot cake all year season. I have it all the time! But your version is like Autumn at its best! I LOVE it! Since you enjoy it so much, I'll repeat it: Adam, you're awesome! Lol!
Thistlemoon said…
Cider donuts rule!!!! And so do bundt cakes, so this just rocks! I would even eat this (don't generally like apples) because it just looks so moist and delicious! YUM.
Unknown said…
yes, carrot cake is for every season. and carrots and apples?? *drool* cider donuts?? I'll be getting some of those, warm out of the oven soon--i mean right now :)

awesome doesn't begin to describe you ;-)
Gloria Baker said…
This carrot is absolutely yummy Adam I love it!!xxGloria
Lore said…
Adam you've outdone yourself with this one (note to myself: must try the apple-carrot pairing=brilliant!)! If this is what you come up with when you're under pressure...thumbs up buddy :D.
One giant thank you for your kind words and for sharing your cake with Original Recipes!
Astra Libris said…
Your cake is positively gorgeous!! I love the carrot apple combo - heavenly!!!
hungryandfrozen said…
Adam, this cake looks delish - what a great idea. I like how it's an interesting twist on the original, but without adding wasabi icing or anything too crazy.

LOVED the WW quote :D
Steph said…
Your apple-carrot cake looks delicious and really sturdy! I would never be able to bake it in a bundt pan.. my carrot cakes always look like they're going to fall apart. I second the second pinch of cloves!
giz said…
This whole group hug thing about awesomeness is making me all farklempt. Maybe we're really in a Wayne's World pilot. Script originality = yowzer new cake idea...awesome dude.
Maria said…
I love Wayne's World! I haven't seen it in awhile. I need to bust it out for a good laugh!
And your cake looks awesome! What a great creation!
Natalie Que said…
Okay, you're funny. Candles!? Pumpkin Spice no less?! I'm dying. And I loved the end part, about telling yourself you're awesome. Once again, you and me, tractor beam {I'm doing that hand thing with two fingers from my eyes to your eyes back to my eyes -hopefully that made sense and didn't sound dirty...} I just mean, I tell myself I'm awesome and cool too, but yeah, not quite the same ring as when other people chime in.

Great entry! It looks moist and delcious and flavorful!
Maggie said…
I loved that conversation in Wayne's World.

I've made a couple of carrot cakes with whole wheat flour and they were all good but a little too heavy. The slices of cake look delicious and light! I have to give your apple carrot a try.
Anonymous said…
Cake is looking scrumptious.
Chibog in Chief said…
Hey Adam, I would love to have a slice of this please!! And I second emotion everybody you are indeed AWESOME, can I have two slices please now hehehe

btw, i have never tried carrot cake before, honestly! but the apple carrot combo is so tempting! love it
Jannett said…
you can eat carrot cake any time of year... this one looks great... I enjoy you blog... :)
Anonymous said…
#1: yum

#2: i love that movie. my favorite line: "i don't have *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack." i often refer to "a" something, and people often fail to get it and think i'm an idiot.
Anonymous said…
I've tried a similar recipe and this smell great.. Great combination of spices on this one.
Ann said…
Brilliant!!

Of course, we'd all like an update on how this worked with the ladies. We want the DIRT, man! We want to live vicariously.

Is it sick that I'm saying this: but if you really want to score, ya gotta add some frosting/icing, dude!! ;)
Emily said…
This looks amazing! I love carrot-apple-spicy things like this.

Where the F were you?!
Just kidding.

Were you there? Because it was so hectic, I don't even know.

I love New York!