Hey, How Would You Like a Hawaiian P... Haupia?

I have no idea why... but August is definitely cooler than it should be right now. I had to sleep with a blanket last night, which is very surprising, but I enjoyed it. I'm typically a Fall guy, (both in seasons and in life), and then Summer takes a close second. So today, I bring you something which is Summery, and requires no baking. Yup you heard it, no oven to heat the house up. Just a little stove top action. Apparently someone told me I'm crazy because I live without air conditioning :) I just like living like it's 1776 is all... but with a shower and electricity :) I think if I could pick a time period to live it would probably be around ~1700. What do you think?

Here's a cool dessert from Hawaii, kind of like a sweet coconut pudding or custard, called Haupia. Those of you still wanting to get your healthy fat kicks, will be happy to hear that coconut is indeed a healthy fat. Yes, there is controversy because it's high in saturated fat, but if it's unprocessed, there are studies that show no links to heart disease. In fact it has anti-microbial and bacterial properties not found in other fats. So go cuckoo for coconuts! This recipe is from the same magazine the whoopie pies came from, which were a monster hit at the clinic. My back is sore from all the pats I got on it last week.


Haupia
from Hanaford Magazine

-2 cans lite coconut milk
-3/4 cup sugar
-1/2 cup cornstarch
-2 tsp vanilla
-1 1/2 cups water
-toasted coconut, to garnish

This recipe is super easy. First grease a 8x8 pan with cooking spray and set aside.

In a large sauce pan, bring both cans of coconut milk to a gentle simmer. In a small bowl, add sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and water, and whisk until smooth and there are no lumps. Add the water mixture into the coconut milk and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.

Let the combined milk mixture boil on medium heat until it thickens up, about 20 minutes. Make sure you stir frequently, so the bottom does not burn as the milk boils. You'll know it's thick enough when it starts to look more gel-like and comes away from the side of the pan when you stir. If you've ever made lemon pie from a mix like My T Fine... you know what I mean.

Pour the hot mix into the prepared 8x8 pan, and let cool for 15 mins on the counter. Then store covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for 2-3 hours before serving. Top with toasted coconut, maybe some slivered almonds, and you're all set. Cut into squares and serve. Makes 9-12.



I really liked this recipe. I've never cooked or baked with coconut milk before, but I think I became a believer. The squares are sort of like a firm pudding... like a panna cotta, and without gelatin. It's light, it's refreshing, and it's simple. I also like the fact that it can probably be changed to however you would like. I would maybe replace some of the water with pineapple juice, or maybe add a little melted chocolate if I was a little crazy go nuts. Sorry for the short post today guys... I have my last quiz EVER in a few hours. Oh one last thing... ok two. First, thanks for all the support for FFF and the Jets, and welcome new friends and readers. Second... toasted coconut now ranks up with coffee and "when it starts to rain" as the best scents ever. Write that down :)
Strong bad.. haha

Comments

Pam said…
I LOVE anything with coconut. This looks so refreshing and delicious. Nicely done.
LizNoVeggieGirl said…
I've been sleeping in flannel pajama pants and sweatshirts all summer long, due to the colder-than-normal temperatures - craziness!!

As someone who only recently started liking coconut, I'm quite enticed by that Haupia dessert- yum!!
Shreya said…
Adam, this is simply amazing! Anything with coconut milk and coconut always is! Btw, I am so glad to hear good things being said about coconut, I totally agree with you, just wish the lobbying against coconut would stop. Those toasted shredded coconut pieces on top look perfect. I think I am gonna try using another flour though, instead of cornstarch, with this recipe. Will let you know how it turns out:-)
Shreya said…
Forgot to mention, something waiting for you at my blog! Please collect.
Christine said…
Yes, heh, I have two blankets on my bed now! It feel like fall when I wake up, which is my favorite season, too. Weird for this time of the year, though!

This is perfect! My dad's a bit lactose intolerant, so I keep that in mind whenever I make desserts for family dinners. He says he doesn't like coconut, but I think he just doesn't like the texture of flaked coconut in cookies and stuff, not coconut milk.

I love the scent of toasted coconut! And replacing some of the water with pineapple juice would give it a pina colada taste = ftw.

Good luck on your test, Adam!
Ooooo good luck on the quiz--rock it out!
I love toasted coconut too, made it on some marshmallows, was awesome.
This coconut dish looks really creamy good.
I eat a consume a lot of coconut juice/water; I put it in my protein shakes.
I forgot to ask, is that your dog sleeping away in the pic? That's a big dog!
Clumbsy Cookie said…
I'm very much a coconut believer, specially the toasted coconut. I so believe in that!
As for living in 1700, nop. You can enter the time capsule by yourself, I allways picture that period as being very smelly and I'm not a smelly smells kind of girl. I'm more a coconut kind if you know what I mean!
Elle said…
L-O-V-E coconut! This looks amazing, Adam. Good luck on your quiz!

Oh, I'm a fall person, too. It's my favorite season, and it doesn't hurt that it's also football season!
Thistlemoon said…
I LOVE THIS! I am so gonna make it before the summer is over! I am totally a fall person too - which is why we go to New England each fall - it is too sad otherwise! It was always my favorite time of the year there!

Oh and the 1700's? I am so in dude. I was definately born in the wrong time.
hungryandfrozen said…
That looks totally intriguing. I bet you could gussy it up by pouring the mixture into ramekins or something. Totally making this in summer! It sounds delicious, and coconut milk is cheap as here :D

Your "believer" link was hilarious, better than an easter egg on a DVD's bonus features menu!
test it comm said…
I really like the sound of a coconut pudding. It looks nice and cool and refreshing.
Gloria Baker said…
Adam, really I think you have a special touch to desserts, you made so yummy!!! this is absolutely lovely and I remember I have a can of coconut cream!! so I hope to do soon!! Thanks by share, xGloria
Dee said…
1700? Err... nope; I do so love my technology :) I think my inner hippy would love the 1960s though. Does that count?

I've never heard of Haupia. (How-pea-ah?) But it does look amazing. I love coconut, especially in dessert. Cool stuff, Adam!
Oh, I know I would like this. I always eat all the custard out of coconut custard pie and leave the crust. Looks delicious! I love fall football weather.
Antonio Tahhan said…
delicious, Adam! I'm a huge fan of coconut milk in anything, especially dessert. I had a Thai custard once made from coconut milk and topped with corn niblets... it sounded weird, but tasted amazing!
good luck on your quiz!
oh, and spring is my favorite (closely followed by fall)
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said…
You are crazy for not having air conditioning. I was right. :)

This coconut dessert sounds fabulous! I've never heard of it. And I just made two desserts with coconut! Weird!
giz said…
How'd the test go? And you have time to blog when you have a big test happening? That's more nuts than not having a/c.

I love these light tasting easy to prepare desserts and what's not to love with toasted coconut. I can see changing it up several different ways.
Chibog in Chief said…
I have never tasted nor seen this before!! This is absolutely beautiful and sweet, my kind of dessert!! Hope you could fedex some here :-)

btw, love the part when you said you are a FALL Guy (both in seasons and in life) :-)
Hey Adam, something weird is going on. I'm getting email copies of comments going to your blog coming in to my email inbox. Please check to see what default email you got. I'm sure it's a Google error, but maybe we should get it corrected. You're such a popular guy.
RecipeGirl said…
It's hot and muggy around here. Boo hoo. I enjoy fall too but our fall tends to sometimes be hotter than our summers.

I wish we'd have had this recipe when we had our Hawaiian-Themed gourmet club party. Sounds different and delish.
Hey Adam, so how is going? RElaxing after your exams? I hope you're having a ball. Don't know what to do about getting your blogs comments on my emails. Any ideas?
Adam, think I fixed it. I got another email with a button that said unsubscribe to comments on this post. I clicked it, so we'll see. Thanks love.
Steph said…
Yum! Your squares look great. It's nice to hear that coconut is a healthy fat because I love anything with coconut milk.

I don't think living without a/c is weird, but sleeping without a blanket.. that I can't do! I wish I could because when it's a million degrees and you still need a blanket, it makes it twice as hard to sleep.

By the way, I would love to live in the 1700s too.. they wear such cool clothes!
I remember having this when I went to Hawaii. I like coconut a lot. Especially if it's toasted. So, the coconut milk...is it sweetened or unsweetened?

I think I'd rather live now. I'm lazy and I don't like to work to eat my food. Prime examples: cracking crab legs, shucking oysters and corn, snapping green beans. You can pay somebody to do that stuff. For cheap.
Dragon said…
You can't have it both ways, Adam. You can't have a shower and electricity and still live like it's 1776. :D

I'm also a fall girl. There is nothing better than crawling into bed with a warm blanket.

Great recipe by the way. You made me run upstairs to see if I had any coconut milk. It's now on the shopping list. Thanks!
Poonam said…
That definitely looks easy to make. Bookmarked!
Lore said…
Haupia is new to me but it does look delicious! Where's my fork when I need it?? :P
Also good to know coconut is healthy fat, at least my hubby got that part right without even knowing it.
Woohoo for the no-gelatin part!
Snooky doodle said…
this looks nice and easy recipe. I adore coconut so i ll sure give it a try. Nice recipe
Maggie said…
The haupia looks great. I wonder how it would be with a crust, like a lighter version of coconut cream pie. Congrats on the last quiz, too!
Anonymous said…
I've never heard of haupia, but it looks very tempting. :)