Fig's Under My Thumb

Baking With Dynamite has been a little crazy lately. She's been feeling a bit like an indecisive chameleon, changing colors, changing looks, adding on and deleting appendages, all sorts of stuff. But, as of this very moment, I think she might be settled in. Sure a couple of links are still broken, and some of the colors might need some fixing to be easier to read, but for the most part... I'm thinking D-U-N done. Thank you everyone very much for your suggestions and website recommendations, it was all very helpful. To those of you who like the look, cool... and for those that think it's missing something... let me know. Chiropractor, Baker, Bodybuilder, yes... but home decorator and artist, no :)

Oh wait, I need a header. Well, almost done, then. Maybe a sweet Missouri girl can help a guy out*

So to keep up with the mix up theme, I'm mixing recipes today. What do you get when you throw a bunch of awesome bloggers idea's together? Well, wait and see...

Clumbsy Cookie, my Portugese, fun loving, sugar craving buddy is having a Fig Week this week. Everyday is a different fig recipe, and each one is better than the last one. So, bascially, in my eyes, this is one of the best weeks in the history of mankind. I love figs... I mean come on, I'm Adam... don't fig leaves cover the uh... right ;)

While the chocolate chip cookie post showed many of you do in fact love the Triple C (and we all should, right?), it's not my favorite cookie. Really, I'm sorry to say it, but it's true. I prefer sugar or oatmeal cookies, and I don't know exactly why... I think it's part of my genetic code :)

Nik, proud owner of Nik Snacks, has cooking skills worthy 0f 17 gold medals. She always has great original ideas, and I love how couple of times a week, I know I am going to get schooled in delicious, southern love inspired cooking. A week ago she made a healthier sugar cookie for some cool school kids. I know that if they are good enough for school kids, they'd be right for me. I am technically a school kid still, right? I'll just adapt it a little, I hope she doesn't mind :)

So figs + sugar cookie... hmmm... How about Fig Thumbprint Sugar Cookies? Yup, I was super excited too :) We're talking like you just got a king sized candy bar in your halloween bag excited.

Fig Thumbprint Sugar Cookies
Nicolette Miller-Ka and Adam

Sugar Cookie Dough
-4 oz smart balance spread (I just used unsalted butter)
-3/4 cup powdered sugar
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 cup egg subsititue (I used 1 whole egg)
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 1/3 cup flour

Fig Filling
-4 oz fresh finely chopped or pulsed Figs (Black Mission used here)
-1/3 cup honey
-1/8 tsp cloves
-1/8 tsp cinnamon
-1 Tbsp lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350*, grab two ungreased cookie sheets, and line with slipmat or parchment paper.

In a large bowl, add cream the butter and sugar together, until pale yellow and creamy. Add in the baking soda, salt, vanilla, and egg, mixing with a hand mixer until well incorporated. Add flour into the butter mixture, and continue to beat until smooth.

Mean while, in a small bowl pour in your chopped figs (my food processor is my arms) honey, cloves, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Using a spatula - I would lightly coat in cooking spray so the figs don't stick to it... fold in all the ingredients until the figs are nicely coated and start to stick together some. Add more honey if they do not stick together.

Using a tablespoon scoop, scoop up a piece of dough, roll into a small ball with your hands, and place the sugar cookie dough onto the cookie sheets,with enough room to grow. Then, with a lightly wet thumb, press each cookie ball down lightly so there is a 1/2 inch deep imprint.

Fill each imprint with the fig filling (Be careful this can be messy as figs are sticky). Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until the bottoms brown and are firm to the touch. Cool completely on wire racks. Makes about 20 cookies.

Ok, so maybe they aren't the most attractive cookie ever, because black fruit with seeds can look a little strange, but just try it. Mom always said dont judge a book by it's cover... and I say the same thing, unless the book is really, really Zoolander good looking. So this is the metaphorical love children of Nik, Cookie, and Adam. I'm not sure how to describe thier multi-cultural, multi-global personality, but I can guarentee a couple things. They are fun, they are simple, and if a cookie had a wicked sense of humor, this would be the poster child :)
Stop Sign

Comments

Natalie Que said…
Awww, that's sweet. Is that new caption above the comments new or have I just never noticed it? I think I might need to change mine. It might be a little to snarky for people who don't know me personally. It is an ancient relic from back when my blog was only read by friends and family!

Anyway, you and your figs leaves! Yes, you are Adam after-all! Man, could figs be any hotter right now? I am seeing them everywhere and on everything! Pizza, cookies, pastas...

What a great idea to combine the them with the sugar cookie {especially since it is one of your favs}. Your thumbprints are adorable and look delectable!
LizNoVeggieGirl said…
I love the new blog layout - everything seems great to me!

Fig Thumbprint Sugar Cookies??!?!??! Yes, please!! :0)
Steph said…
Adam, I love seeing how your site keeps improving! I want to improve my blog, but I have no idea how and don't want to screw the codes up. It's probably time for an upgrade from 2 purple borders though.

I've never had a fig before and I wouldn't call a sugar cookie my favourite, but I'm sure the chewy and soft combination is delicious!
Antonio Tahhan said…
fig newtons were one of my favorite cookies growing up and I bet these would taste about a million times better!!
btw, I clicked on stop sign... LOL.
Dee said…
For a mo there, I thought I'd gone to another blog.

I have so much I'm dying to say about your Adam and fig leaves comment but this is after all a public arena ;)

Love the figs! Told CC the same. I'm hoping for something to do with the dried stuff because I do live in Malaysia where I'd need to take out a mortgage to get my hands on Mission Figs :(
Clumbsy Cookie said…
Oh Adam, look at you with you menly blog! It looks good to me, but I do think you should change your profile picture and put the "real" Adam picture from the link you provived related to the figs... Are you really that Adam?
Thanks for the recipe! It looks great and spicy and sexy in a kind of way. I'll link back here at the end of the week. As somebdy told me, you're fig-tastic!
hungryandfrozen said…
Awesome cookies. Gotta say, I love that you used real butter and eggs instead of creepy substitutes ;)
Laura Paterson said…
Mmmmm... great cookies :)

And I like the new layout too!

ps. I'm an oat girl too - going to be posting a recipe up in the next day or too!
Great new look! I have been playing around with my blog and have to spice it up. Very creative cookies!
Pam said…
I love the new look Adam...the colors are great.

I have never cooked with figs and I am embarrassed to say it...I guess it's time. I bet the cookies were fantastic.
Elle said…
Figs and cookies are two of my favorite things! Putting them together was genius, Adam.
Christine said…
I love fig newtons, so these sound amazing! The filling looks great.
Thistlemoon said…
Adam, these cookies are awesome! I love figs, they are on of my favorite things ever, and I am not really a cc cookie person either, though I wouldn't say no, either.

What I am trying to say is, these rule!
I love how you've spruced up the joint. Looks good, more like a man. We can't have you looking all girly and stuff.
And, Mr. whats-happening-hot-stuff, your food pictures are definitely getting better; it gets yummier and yummier (I know you'll get this now and I will hear you laugh this time).
:-)
Dragon said…
I like your new blog layout too. :) Clumbsy is a genius. All us Portuguese girls are. :)

Great cookie creation! I love love love figs.
giz said…
The new look is awesome - I guess that fulfills the "specializing in awesomeness".

Here's the deal - fig cookies are the bomb. I've been wanting to make fig newtons for ages and looking at this thumbprint version - well...floats my boat.
Emily said…
Who is this Missouri girl? WHO IS SHE?!

The fig cookies look great. I love figs, but I'm the only one in my family. We don't have fresh figs here, and it makes me so mad.

I'm thinking fireworks for your banner.

Baking with Dynamite! Explosions!
HEy! Great job mixing everything up, buddy! Thanks for the top billing in the recipe :) These look really good! Better than Fig Newtons! Like...homemade ones! The kids would totally love these. I feel like I need to go out and get some figs now. And some orange marmalade because that would be good with these. Oh yes. Mmm Mmmm.
Neen said…
I like the design, and it's all good not having a header yet. I mean, we've had our blog for over 6 months now, and we still don't have one! :)
Snooky doodle said…
I like your new blog layout. This looks cool. This recipe looks nice and easy to make apart from healthy. I like dried figs in fact i just made some cupcakes with figs which i ll post soon about. These cookies are great for nibbling on. oops hope i won t eat too many. :-)
cookies n figs ..delicious. Somethings just bring so much joy at first sight. This is one of those :)
test it comm said…
Fig thumbprint cookies sound really good!
Carla said…
I don't think I've ever had figs (I don't count Fig Newtons because they came from a factory). Maybe these cookies will help me break into the fig world.
Hee hee hee. Big Wong’s!

Chinatown does have some wonderful out-of-the-way places. A friend once took me into a building under a bridge where this cheezey flea market was going on. We browsed the stalls for a few minutes, and we went up a staircase to our final destination. The staircase was wide and beautiful and looked out of place with the first floor and at the top was a very nice restaurant where we indulged in traditional dim sum. The waitresses who pushed the carts by our table barely spoke English, so choosing was a little risky (what exactly were you eating?), but it was all delicious. I don’t know how people find that place, but I’m so glad my friend did.

That’s an amazing photo of the stormy water.

I know what you mean about the importance of having your faraway good friends around. Three weeks ago I had two of my best friends come visit for the weekend. We took the opposite route and went hiking upstate, but it’s not so much about where you go as it is about whom you’re with!
Lore said…
Love the new look, the white font and gray background is really easy on the eyes.
Oh man, I've been reading Cookie's fig recipes this week then I come here and these figs won't stop following me so I guess that's a sign...although we can't find fresh figs here I absolutely need to make something with figs!!!
Great idea using cloves for the filling, will give it a try!
Gloria Baker said…
Dear Adam this look amazing! I love figs with everything and these cookies,,,I love them!!! Gloria
FYI - You can find the Rachael Ray Drinking Game here.

http://www.slobak.com/rachaelray.html

I have added my own touches to it such as drinking when she says "Any kind/Whatever kind of (insert food option her) you like" and "Mmmm mmmm mmmm."
Anonymous said…
Great decision to combine the two, figs and sugar cookies...yum :D!

We'd like to invite you to participate in our September apple and peach recipe contest. All competitors will be eligible to win one of three prizes :)! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested.


Thanks :),
Sophie
KI Chief Blogger