Hip To Be Cheesecake Square

Any of you ever been to a bodybuilding show? Well, at the night show, an MC announces who you are and a couple of things about you before you step on stage. It's like an introduction. It's often something like "This is Jim, he trains at ____ gym and he wants to thank his mom... blah blah". Something really simple and a tad unoriginal. Ladies, and gents... I'm not a lot of things... but I like to think I'm original.

My last show I had the announcer say "Adam is a chiropractic student, and he makes a mean cheesecake." The guy was cracking up as he was saying it. Something tells me he probably hasn't said that one before. I wish I could upload the video. I know it's on Facebook, but that part might be cut off. I'll have to see what I can do about it. But anyways, I really, really, enjoy cheesecake. The top radio dessert hits for me would be fried ice cream, cheesecake, and apple pie. Weird thing though, it's not the texture that I love, but the flavor. Cheesecake ice cream? Delicious to the max. Could you imagine cheesecake filled pierogi? Oh my goddness, did I just say that? Yes... and I'm single at the moment :)

I made this lower fat cheesecake recipe up yesterday. I didn't have any gram crackers... plus some of them have transfats... so I made up a crust for it. You can add more cream cheese if you want to make the squares thicker, or use a smaller pan. This recipe was for my classmates, so I wanted to get the most bang for my buck... kinda literally.

This is also going to Ben's What's Cooking?, I Love Baking Event. It's a bi-weekly baking event that is going to start in August. Let's get everyone involved! There's going to be prizes, you cool cats. I'm submitting because, hey, the baking guys have to stick together. Ben has a great site over there, and I have to support my brother in baking.


Vanilla Cheesecake Squares
Recipe by Adam

Crust:
-1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
-1/3 cup packed brown sugar
-1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
-4 oz butter, melted

-Dash of salt

-2 Tbs low fat sour cream


Filling:
-2 8oz. pkg low fat cream cheese (blocks)

-1/2 cup sugar
-2 eggs

-1/2 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt

-2 tsp vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350*, line a 13x9 pan with foil or a slip mat.

In a medium bowl, make the crust by combing the flour, sugar, salt, and almonds. Add in the melted butter and mix well with a spoon until the dry ingredients get wet and start to stick together. Add sour cream to the mix and stir so an almost soft dough forms. Press this dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until it browns nicely.

Meanwhile, while the crust bakes, make the filling. In a large bowl, add the softened cream cheese and sugar, and mix with a handmixer on a low speed until the cream cheese becomes smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, and follow with yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix on a low speed until the filling is smooth and no lumps remain. Don't over mix though, because cracks can happen that way.


Take out the pan with the crust when done, and pour the filling on top of the hot crust. Smooth out evenly with a spatula, and return to the oven for 20-25 mintues. If you are using more cream cheese or a smaller pan, you might need to increase the baking time. Cheesecake should jiggle a bit when you shake the pan... you'll need to try it out to understand what I mean.


Let cool on a wire rack until it's completely cool. Place in the fridge to firm it up for anywhere from 4 hours to overnight. Top with some awesome summer fruit, and cut and serve.


I choose to top them with strawberries, because strawberries are awesome. I think summer is the perfect time to keep cheesecake simple, and let the fruit and natural flavors meld. Save the going crazy and mixing things into cheesecake other times of the year:) Once again, thanks for the feedback on the FFF, and I'll answer the questions you have on Friday. Oh, and not that I'm counting... but 4 months til I'm a doctor. In the name of The Todd from Scrubs... "Internet High Five!"

Comments

LizNoVeggieGirl said…
Haha, I bet that's DEFINITELY the first time that the announcer said that a bodybuilder "makes a mean cheesecake" - I bet he's just jealous ;0)

Strawberries = perfect cheesecake topping. YUM!!
Thistlemoon said…
That looks great Adam! I would love it! Generally I find cheesecake too rich and heavy - I like something lighter - and the ww crust is awesome!
Christine said…
Internet high five, lolz!

The crust sounds great. I generally lean more toward shortbread crust than graham cracker crusts, and the addition of almonds makes it even better.
Astra Libris said…
Internet high five indeed! Congratulations, soon-to-be Doctor Adam! Such an incredible accomplishment!

A huge thank you for this recipe - I've been searching for the perfect lower-fat cheesecake recipe for ages, and now, thanks to you, it's finally arrived! Your recipe sounds absolutely incredible - I love the whole wheat crust... I can't wait to fix these!
hungryandfrozen said…
Hey, congrats on your pending doctorhood :)

That cheesecake looks great, I love the sound of the wholewheat base (and how you manage to get sour cream into everything lol) Just made a cheesecake yesterday myself. Nigella has an amazing recipe for cheesecake ice cream, you should def check it out!
Neen said…
I love the story about the announcement, and the cheesecake looks so good! Especially because, since the squares are relatively small, they don't look as intimidating as most cheesecake slices do. Bring it on!
Vidhya said…
wow, your cheese cake looks yummy. I am hungry now :-)
Dee said…
I love cheesecake! Love! The strawberries on top are the perfect touch.

Just made David Lebowitz's and it was fabulous - I subbed sour cream for light yoghurt and it was so fresh tasting.

Hey, have you tried a ricotta cheesecake? I like to think it's lower in fat, or is that just wishful thinking?
Dragon said…
Well! Aren't you the well rounded guy? Bodybuilding, student and great baker? Just about perfect. :) The cheesecake looks so delicate and yummy. Great job!
Yeah, yeah..."you guys have to stick together". But we foodie mamas are gonna kick some serious butt with Ben's Bake event. HA HA just kidding. Your cheesecake does look tasty. Good job Adam.
giz said…
Nice to see a lower fat version of cheesecake. I know it's right up there on alot of peoples' list but I just can't warm up to cheesecake. Cheesecake perogi - did you just hear my stomach turn?
You should make a point of taking cheesecake to the announcer :).
Gloria Baker said…
Adam this cheescake is absolutely yummy! I love cheesecake, Love your recipe I will try! xxGloria
Lore said…
:)) That introduction would've definitely got my attention :D I'm still smiling about it. Hey, next time you should take this delicious cheesecake with you for a sample testing then come back and tell us how many phone numbers you got :)
I have to be honest. I am a HUGE cheesecake addict. I am oh so fussy on what type of cheesecake to eat. Since I can't eat it a lot of it because of my girlish figure (ha ha), when I do crave it I go to the cheescake factory and get some banana cheesecake. It is oh so good; perfect in my opinion.
But Adam, I have to say your crust looks very appealing and I just might have to steal this one. Good idea using almonds in the crust for that extra taste.
Four months to go--awesome dude!
test it comm said…
Those cheesecake squares look good but what really caught my attention was the cheesecake filled pierogis! I can just imagine the crispy fried pierogis oozing melted cheesecake as you bit into them...mmm...
Anonymous said…
wowzers - those look awesome! i could probably polish off a whole plate of those. just don't put me in the body builders competition the day after.
Anonymous said…
Hey Adam
I'm with you on the use of low fat cream cheese and yogurt instead of cream. I only ever bake my grandmother's cheesecake, which is a big baked New-York-deli style cheesecake. I've experimented with several variations though, and my favourites are: using ginger biscuits for a crumb crust (instead of baking a pastry crust), using sour cream instead of sweet cream (yogurt is lower fat and also works, but doesn't do much for the texture).
Looking forward to seeing you on the DB challenge next month!!
Elle said…
That looks wonderful! And I'm all for making it better for you. I also love the simple strawberries over the top.

Wow, only four months away? How cool is that?!
Anonymous said…
Hi Adam, the whole introduction must have been hilarious. I think I am going to try to make the cheesecake. It looks amazing! I'm sure you can't wait to be called Dr :)
Clumbsy Cookie said…
Nop, I've never been to a bodybuilding show, but certainly I would not expect a cheesecake maker participant... If it's low fat can I please have little square, yes yes yes?
Emily said…
I like your pictures. They're so good!

Ben always has something going on over there. I'll have to check it out.

You do bake a mean cheesecake!
This looks good, my friend. I do not like cheesecake. When I go to The Cheesecake Factory, I either get cake or nothing at all. I don't like the texture nor flavor--no matter if it's classic, chocolate, or some other flavor. But I will try your crust with maybe some quick oats instead of almonds and add some almond extract or amaretto flavoring.
Chibog in Chief said…
strawberries and cheesecake, oh Adam I'm in love...will you marry me???hehehhe

btw, i've never seen a body building show yet, It must be exciting and really impressive!
Michelle said…
Hi Adam, just found your blog and love it!!! I may be a frequent visitor here!!!
M
Anonymous said…
Dude, if you keep baking cheesecake like this one you're not going to stay single for too long. haha... wait.. err.. my sister is single and she loves.. cheesecake...hmm. er.. nevermind! No, no.. don't even think about it!! :-)
Jannett said…
Your cheesecake looks really good. The crust is great. Body building is exhilarating. :)
A_and_N said…
Great looking squares Adam! I liked the 'hip to be square' part too :)

Did you use a springform pan? If not, how did you manage to get the cheesecake out?
Anonymous said…
great recipe. i've been working with strawberries a lot lately!