Set Phasers to Scone


This blog is like Star Trek for me. No it doesn't make me grow Vulcan ears, or give me melodramatic exaggerated acting skills, but it challenges me. It takes me where no Adam has gone before (at least baking wise... thanks college) While I have recipes that are my "go to" guys, I'm finding that it's cool to pass the ball to a new rookie and see if he drops it. If he has butterfingers and drops the ball like Clumsy McSlippy Hands, well then I'll throw to someone else. Damn is it football season yet? I can't wait to see Jets camp.

So Scones. This kid has never ate one, and never made one either. At the coffee shop they look like some kind of triangle biscuit, big and puffy, yet dull and boring. I have heard that you need to have them with some kind of sweet filling or frosting to make them worthwhile, or coffee. They are like that friend who is a meek wallflower by themselves, but comes to life when a bunch of friends are around. I wanted the scone to stand up for itself without some kind of Siamese sugary concoction attached to it, so I came up with chocolate scones, with chunks of dark chocolate inside, a hint of cinnamon, and a touch of espresso to wake you up... and the beautiful thing is that it's easy. Easy like Sunday morning :) Sorry I couldn't resist.


Caffeinated Charged Chocolate Scones
Recipe by Adam

-1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (or AP)
-1/4 cup packed brown sugar
-3 Tbsp cocoa powder
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp espresso powder
-1/4 tsp salt
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-3 Tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
-1 egg, beated
-1/2 cup light sour cream
-1 tsp vanilla
-Chocolate pieces (milk, dark, whatever)

Preheat oven to 400*, line two cookie sheets with foil or parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, espresso powder, cocoa, salt, and cinnamon. Pour the butter chunks into the bowl and mix with your hands, until the flour resembles some soft crumbs... like making a pie crust. Add in chocolate pieces. Stir a little to coat them.

In a large bowl, combine egg, sour cream, and vanilla, an mix well. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet, and with a spatula, fold gently until a pretty wet dough forms. Do not over mix. Please. Treat this like muffin batter, just get everything all together.

Place dough on a clean, lightly floured surface, and roll out so it's about 1/4 inch thick. Take a floured cup or cookie cutter and cut the dough into circles. Place the circles on the prepared pans, brush with melted butter, and bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until the toothpick test comes out clean. Remove the foil from the pan and let them cool completely. Enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee.

The scones turned out pretty well. They were light, airy, and kind of cakey. Think of a not so sweet, drier, lower fat, no mess piece of chocolate cake. I guess biscuit is a good way to describe it. I actually think they would be perfect for dunking into milk or coffee. Pop on some Star Trek, or James Bond if you're British, and make your morning easy.

(Star Trek Pictures taken from http://startrekspace.blogspot.com/)

Comments

Sue said…
THAT is a nice recipe. I like the addition of the chocolate pieces.

I also liked that you took a stab at answering all the questions on Emiline's quiz...even if I did best you. Only by one, but still...
LizNoVeggieGirl said…
That was your first time making scones?? You're a pro, as far as I'm concerned - they look wonderful!!

Thank you for your kind words on my blog.
test it comm said…
Those scones sound really good! Nice shot with the gooey melted chocolate.
Steph said…
Who said scones were boring?! Not with chocolate!!
Jannett said…
I just found your site this morning..it is a great...the recipes all look very good..there are a couple I will be trying... :)
Great recipe. I love scones and chocolate. This would be a great way to use up some leftover chocolate chips I have hanging out in the kitchen.
Gloria Baker said…
I like so these scones !!! and I like your blog's name "Baking with Dynamite! love it. xGloria
Adam said…
Thanks for the comments everyone, I'm proud of the first time scones too. I guess we have quite the chocoholics here. It reminds me that Seinfeld when Jerry tells Newman "You wouldn't eat broccoli if it was deep fried in chocolate sauce".

It's nice to know we all would.
Emily said…
Ah, yes. Seinfeld. Good show.

I love the flavor combination you used in the scones - chocolate, cinnamon, espresso...sounds great.

I really feel like making scones now!
Kimi said…
Those scones look great, just like you said, bicuity. I love the title of the post, very funny! Try them with a dollop of vanilla yogurt or if you want to be bad, marscapone cheese, drool.
Glad you found my blog, thanks for the oh, so nice comment you left!
Christine said…
Right, I have to make these and eat one everyday.