Pump it Up

Ok... repeat after me.... I have everything under control. Life has been pretty wild the past few weeks on my side of the fence. The parents came up, the house cleaning and settling commenced, work got wicked busy, and I had my mind blown last weekend at a nutrition seminar.

Take your Omega-3s... like a lot of them, everyday. But I won't get into that now :)

Long story short... to any of you that successfully balance work, play, baking, the internet, personal relationships and still smile... my hat goes off to you. You are my hero, complete with a fancy cape and a giant whisk emblem on your chest :) Hopefully I can ride shotgun with you eventually. I bought a daily planner the other day, so I'm on my way...

So I'm going to enter this post with something you've all had probably waaay too many of lately. Pumpkin recipes. You know you love 'em. It makes me wonder though... do markets even sell pumpkin during other times of the year? I think that same Libby can sits on the shelf from March until September or October. Pumpkin pie in spring? While I'd still eat it, it would feel a little weird I guess :)

I wanted to throw together a quick cookie recipe, so I simply shot this from the hip. I took a few of my favorites spices and mixed them together, and as I was doing it, I had an idea.

I've never in my life bought pumpkin pie spice... (does anyone?) or apple pie spice. I've always had those individual spices around the house for savory and baking dishes, so the thought was always a little silly to me. Plus, we always kinda "cloved up" our pumpkin pies, so it's nice having that kind of control.

So here I am, adding in some ginger, and... sure some cinnamon, and some.... *turns head away not paying attention*

Dude, is that garam malasa? That's kinda cinnamon spiced... that'll be either really wild, or wildy terrible :) You only live once... according to non-karma based religions.

And that's my story :)

Warning... Pictures taken hastily at work while being devoured by patients and staff... I apologize for the off color... it's tough taking pics during the day when it's dark when you get up :)



Mixing and Not Paying Attention Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Dr. Adam
-1/4 cup butter, melted

-1/2 cup packed brown sugar

-1/2 granulated sugar
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 egg

-3/4 cup canned mashed pumpkin


-1 3/4 cups AP flour
-1/2 tsp baking soda

-1/2 tsp baking powder

-1 tsp cinnamon

-1/2 tsp ginger

-1/2 tsp garam masala

-1/4 tsp salt


-2 cups or so chocolate chips


Preheat your oven to 350*. Use parchment paper (love this stuff) or grease your sheet pans. In a large bowl, add the sugars and melted butter together. Mix until smooth, and add the egg, vanilla extract, and pumpkin. Continue mixing with a wooden spoons until brown satiny smooth.

In a separate bowl, or just added to the wet bowl... add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and garam masala if using. Gently stir together until no lumps remain and it is combined well. Add in the chocolate chips, and fold in gently.


Spoon by tablespoonfuls onto your cookie sheets, leaving some room for spreading and baking. These spread more upwards than anything. Bake on the center rack for 10 or so minutes, or until they spring back when pressed. Cool completely on a wire rack. Makes about 30 cookies.



So you're thinking... what's it like with that out of the ordinary spice in there? It works. It's possible I could of maybe upped it a little bit more to 1 teaspoon to make it more pronounced... but I dig it. I think it adds a little confusion, a little spark to the same old spice cookie. All I have to do now is add some molasses next time and it'll be guitar hero quality.

Once again, thank everyone so very much for your warm thoughts and compliments on my new home. It's actually really homey now, and I'm taking a little each Sunday off to work on it just a little bit. It might take a full year, but I'll get her up to speed soon enough :)

I'll be around to visit soon, and until then... all my best :)

Comments

Velva said…
Welcome back! The pumpkin cookies look good. A handful of these cookies, would be perfect for breakfast with coffee, in the afternoon with Diet Coke.
Looking forward to your next post.
Maria said…
I have pumpkin cookies on my blog right now too:) Great minds think alike. I am loving pumpkin season. Sounds like you are keeping busy-we are as well! Owning a house is a never ending project, but it is worth it. I am glad you are liking yours. We just finished remodeling our basement. The hubs did all of the work, he did a great job. I am glad it is over though:) Have a great weekend!
Astra Libris said…
I'm so excited to hear about the house update! :-) Hooray! :-) Getting a new house set up is such an exciting but huge project - bravo to you for tackling it with such enthusiasm!

Your cookies sound like the perfect way to make the kitchen smell like home... :-) I LOVE your addition of the garam marsala! Dr. Adam, you are too brilliant! :-)
Ivy said…
I would gladly be your patient even if you had to break all my bones and put them back together, if at the end I would eat some of your lovely cookies:) Happy Halloween!!
Gloria Baker said…
Im happy you come back dear Adam!! patience all wil be OK xxgloria
Unknown said…
oooh, these would definitely make me say "hmmm" :) glad you sruvived the craziness!
PG said…
Actually, I'm not tired of pumpkin recipes yet. I had this amazing pumpkin square the other day and have been thinking about pumpkin ever since.

Good to hear that you're settling into your home well. It's nice to know that there is a light at the end of this box tunnel.
theUngourmet said…
Well now that's just funny! I'm glad it was good even with the mix up! I hope you are enjoying your new home so far. Congrats again! :D
CookiePie said…
YUM - those look fantastic!!
Dewi said…
This new and exciting since I never made cookies using pumpkin as one of the ingredients. It must tasted delicious of course.
Steph said…
I was thinking of making pumpkin cookies yesterday, but they all seem so soft. I guess that just comes with it since pumpkin is so wet. I'm glad everything is going well with the house. Btw, I'm one of those who bought pumpkin pie spice... I actually thought it was something separate, not a bunch of others mixed together.
Emily said…
Wow! You are creative! I have to try this sometime. I love pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. Mmmm.
Dear Adam, I think your cookies are marvelous. I know your staff and patients loved them. May you make many happy and loving memories in your new house. Big hugs and kisses.
Sue said…
Those look just like my pumpkin cookies. Yummy. Here's the one I use...very similar:
http://twi.cc/gzTv

But yours are quite exciting with the garam masala.
♥peachkins♥ said…
these pumpkin cookies are so perfect for the season
hungryandfrozen said…
Yay for not paying attention - garam masala sounds PERFECT with sweet pumpkin based recipes. It's the cinnamon - it makes everything work :)

I wish we had canned pumpkin here in New Zealand - would make life easier!
I am speechless at the thought of garam masala cookies. I'll bet you're the first to try this.

Hope the Thai burgers taste good with beef!

BTW, I don't have it all in balance either. Just ignore it all. It sorts itself out eventually.
I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog, you have a terrific collection of baking recipes! I will be sure to use your blog as a point-o-reference for future sweet-tooth kitchen projects.
Chibog in Chief said…
Glad to see our favorite "cooking/ baking" doc back in shape again :-)!! and this pumpkin chocolate chip cookies is absolutely divine!! can't wait to try them :-)
miss v said…
long time no post, friend. glad things are settling down for you.

i totally cracked up at the garam malasa. i always think it tastes like cinnamon. whenever i make indian food, i have to halve what the recipe calls for or i feel like i'm eating dessert.
Clumbsy Cookie said…
You're too funny Adam! I bet you had a wonderful time with the family, eh?
Oh pumpkin recipes... You know I haven't made any, can you believe? Shame on me! Specially cause my oncle gave me a huge pumpkin, that now lives in my frezzer cut into cubes... Maybe it will see the light soon.
Nice cookies, even if you were not looking ;)
Tom said…
That's a neat idea! There's a chocolate shop here in DC that makes a delicious chocolate with garam masala. It makes sense that it would add a greater depth of flavor to baked goods too. I'll be interested to see how the molasses works in there, for me less is more because it crosses the line from good to overwhelming pretty quickly!
CookiePie said…
Great idea! I love angel food cake and LOVE pumpkin - what a great combo!