Cookie Carnival: Strawberry Shortcake Cookies

Whenever you move to different states and different parts of the country, there's a few adjustments to make. In Florida you can probably wear shorts year round (help me out on this one, Jenn), and for places like Alaska you can wear sunglasses at night for half of the year.

Part of the food related fun is learning about what seasonal food is coming in each month. Like for instance, we have zucchini and summer squash and potatoes coming in already, in the first week of June. That would never, ever, happen in upstate NY... unless you have your own greenhouse or something mad scientist like.

So in NC, strawberries rocked and rolled on by already. I've been enjoying them since late April, and by right about now, they are on their way out the door already. I can't believe it. I mean summer just started :) But hey, cherries and blues and stone fruits are on their way, so it's all good :)

This recipe for the cookie carnival celebrates strawberry season, which is in full swing probably where you live... and if not, I'm sure you can sub out for something else. I think it's a great idea to use sweet fruit in these cookies, and they actually looked really nice. As far as taste goes, I'm going to say that 'they had a nice personality'. I'm not going to say they stunk, but I was rather unimpressed. They were a little too wet for my liking, but they disappeared pretty quick at the office. Oh well, maybe I just ask for too much :)



Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
Recipe by Martha Stewart
Makes about 3 dozen


* 12 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
* 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

* 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar

* 2 cups all-purpose flour

* 2 teaspoons baking powder

* 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt

* 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

* 2/3 cup heavy cream
* Sanding sugar, for sprinkling

DIRECTIONS:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.
Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart. Sprinkle with sanding sugar, and bake until golden brown, 24 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool. Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.


This was a really simple recipe, and tasted like a strawberry biscuit in my opinion. If I'd make any changes, I would not macerate the strawberries before hand. I would make the dough and just fold the strawberries in. Extracting the juice out made them too goopy and wet to work with, and wet dough makes me a little bummed :) So, I'd change that, and maybe add a little lemon zest too to the dough. Alas, there's always next time good buddies :)

Enjoy the rest of your week, and if you have any workout questions, feel free to let me know about them. I'm glad everyone is going out and getting active :)

Comments

LizNoVeggieGirl said…
Fusing a shortcake with a cookie = decadent genius.
Adam, these cookies look divine, despite your lack of enthusiasm. :p Fruit baking is a bit of an art and I think your ideas of using the whole berry without macerating them and perhaps adding a little lemon (or lime) zest wuld do the trick. I have no doubt your patients loved them! I would. :)
hungryandfrozen said…
Ohh lucky you with all that lovely fruit in season. The only cool thing about late autumn is quinces and I think I slept in one day and missed their season. Good to see you back, you're so prolific!! Those strawberry cookies sound nice, I never would have thought to throw a fruit like that in, but lol @ the 'nice personality' compliment for them...
Snooky doodle said…
Interesting! I m trying this cookies this week. I was wondering wheter to use driesd strawberries but I think I ll try them with half dried and half fresh. They look good though.
I'm thinking about hopping onto the cookie carnival bandwagon...

Oh dear lord I can't wait to see some GOOD LOOKING blueberries and cherries! Not those ugly shriveled things at the grocery store!
Dragon said…
These look like a little bit of heaven. Yum!
Sue said…
Those look soooo good, despite the problems you had with them, and I don't even like shortcake! The additional of lemon zest is a GREAT idea and how good would these be with raspberries?!
foodcreate said…
I have children that injoyed your cookies. they where kept occupied when the weather was a rainy-Day.Awesome Tasteful recipe!

"Join today and enjoy exceptional recipes. Submit your heirloom recipe for all the world to share"We would to have you stop by:)

Welcome~~~Benvenidos/as
http://foodcreate.com
I love the idea of strawberry shortcake cookies. Sorry they weren't as good as you had hoped.

You should make those adjustments to the recipe, add some nuts, and put them in this month's Sugar High Friday, which centers around fruits and nuts.
anudivya said…
There's one way to use up my blueberries! (instead of those red beauties) Yeah, there is more in my fridge!
If there was such a thing as bluberry overdose, I am turning blue from it now!
Steph said…
The colour of those cookies are really nice with the strawberries! The heavy cream must have made these really tender. None of your usual healthy subs Adam? ;)
I wish berries weren't seasonal or at least not taste like cardboard during the winter months. It's a good thing apples are year round.. right?!
Unknown said…
strawberries can be a bit tough due to their water content, but i love their addition to cookies!!! yum, summer :)
Maria said…
I have 2 pounds of strawberries in my fridge. We always stock up on fresh produce once a week. I can't wait to try these cookies! What a great treat!
Try to add a bit of almond extract. It's really good in baked goods with strawberries. Our season is only at the end of June.
miss v said…
we're just about to the end of strawberry season here. my favourite recipe is homemade strawberry daiquiris. maybe not the healthiest, but damn good!
Unknown said…
doesn't look wet, in fact, they look so inviting... :)
Clumbsy Cookie said…
Yes I have a workout question for you: How long do I have to workout if I eat that whole plate of cookies, lol?! Have a wonderful week dear!
Ivy said…
Thanks for passing from my blog even if I haven't been around lately. Strawberry season is over here in Greece and I will have to wait for a whole year to try these cookies.
Thistlemoon said…
They do look pretty Adam, and if they disappeared I am guessing they were good !!!

Well you can wear shorts a lot of the year in FL, but honestly there are 2-3 weeks a year that I am thankful for my Vermont parka! I actually do wear it!
Chibog in Chief said…
This is so genius!!! Im in love with strawberries too so this cookie is definitely for me!

ps i'm rockin & rollin with strawberries too here !!hehehe how's your weekend?
Emily said…
Wow, I've heard about these cookies. They sound sooo good!
ZONE F DG TEAM said…
Definitely a sticky dough.

Great work!!!!
thank you for your comment in my blog :)

hmmm..im sooo going to try this cookies..YUMM YUMM :)